Using Jtag for general Communications

Hi,

I would like to send some data back via my jtag cable from my spartan-3 board to the computer. I have read the article below, but it appears that this method works only with modelsim.

I'm to cheap to buy modelsim at present and would enjoy the exercise of creating something of my own, I am currently using the Xilinx webpack

7.1

Can anyone propose a method in which i can send simple data back? will it be a case of instansiating the JTAG within the spartan and doing it this way? can I avoid reinventing by using some TCL and interact with something within the ISE for doing this?

(is there a good tutorial on TCL aimed specifically at Xilinx tools, i can find bits and pieces but nothing from the ground up, i've messed with the shell but thats really as far as i got in terms of doing anything productive)

Cheers

David

Reply to
googlinggoogler