Using FPGA to feed 80386 - Page 4

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

You can do that for 1 and 2 layers, and if you don't need tight
tolerance.  You won't get plated through holes, so you have to
wire through all vias.

The commercial places are, as far as I know, reasonably priced
for what they do.

-- glen

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386
Version 2.0. Much faster, cleaner:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uIIwU29H3E8

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

LOL, did you notice that the PCB is white and not green ??

What to know why ??

hamilton

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

I guess I do.  I wouldn't have expected it to be green.  Given that it
is be whacked by a laser, I'm not sure I would expect any color to show
up.  Is this forming some oxide of copper that resists the acid?  Or has
the board been sprayed with a photosensitive agent?

--

Rick

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386
Why couldn't this kind of mod be used with the
previous video's 450nm 90mA laser diode to
combine into a single system? If you set the
printer for highest resolution, and use staggered
laser diodes and a buffer circuit, you could
accumulate the print signals for each row, and then on the next row print them as it passes by
while accumulating that row's data.

It would only require always making sure you
print an extra little bit so the last real row isn't
invalidated by the eject.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpflg2KcORY

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

There is a middle road.

Get a copy of Eagle or KiCad, lay the board out, and get Gerber files.
Gerber files are universal, unlike the captive software that you're
talking about.

Then send the Gerber files to a board aggregator (i.e., www.oshpark.com).
Oshpark charges $5.00 per square inch and sends you three boards, which is
not a bad price at all.  You'll only get a 2-layer board, which may not be
enough.  They also do 4-layer, for more money and slower service.

You're definitely diving off the deep end without a life preserver, here
-- would your experience be more complete if someone tied you up in a bag
before you jumped into the water?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Unless you use a fab house that uses crap software like ITEAD.  The use
software the mucks up the images for Gerber files which use certain
constructs.  They will remake the boards correctly, but it's a PITA.
They are cheap though.

He's not diving off anything.  He is just testing the waters by sticking
his toe in and asking us how it feels.

--

Rick

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

IIRC Intel has wittered about such a thing in the last year. Informed opinion
seemed skeptical that it would amount to much.

I suspect Intel's objective was to try to take the steam out if ARM's sails,
since ARM is more than happy for you to embed their processors in your own
logic; see any smartphone for details.

A much more interesting half-way house is Xilinx's Zynq chips, i.e a dual-core
ARM and FPGA fabric, tightly intertwined with decent Verilog/VHDL tools and
software development environments.

Have a look at the MicroZed and similar boards.

Not if the FPGA and processor are in the same package, which is the best
arrangement.

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

The 80286 was designed to work with the 80287 or 80387
math coprocessor. That interface is a little less general
than the 8086, but it could be possible that way.

Otherwise, yes, you could do it as an ordinary I/O device on
memory or I/O space.

I think the 386 has TTL level I/O pins.  There are a few
different ways to do that. One is a resistor big enough not to
hurt the input when the protection diode conducts.

-- glen

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386
I appreciate everyone's advice.  I'll let you know how it turns out.
I'm still filtering ideas about how best to proceed, to use the talents
I possess, and the things I desire to do, in service to the Lord.  I
desire from within to be a good servant, and to not waste my time on
things which are beyond me.  But I also know that in Him, ALL things
are possible, and that He works through communities.  It will never be
me doing any of these projects alone forever.  It will be me doing as
much as I can, and then turning to Him in prayer for help.  If He helps
me I'll proceed.  If not, then I'll move on to the next thing.

It is a servants heart for Him... that is why I proceed on these paths.
I desire to have the foundations be rooted in Him, which is why I'm
looking to 30-year old process technologies and design goals.  These
are likely attainable today without too much trouble.  It will just
take time and collaboration unto Him.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

Actually you are mixing 30 year old technologies with recent
technologies (modern FPGAs). Guess which puts more stress on
PCB technology?

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386
A focus:
http://biblehub.com/philippians/4-13.htm
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

And a thought to consider:
http://biblehub.com/matthew/12-30.htm
"He that is not with me [Jesus] is against me; and he that gathereth
not with me scattereth abroad."

Have you received the Lord as your personal savior?  If not, I advise
you to learn of Him.  The gospel message (the good news) is that we
need not perish eternally.  Jesus Christ has come to the Earth to make
a way back for us to be restored to God eternally in Heaven.  It is
through His Atonement of sin at the cross.  Because He had no sin, and
because of His Love for us, He took on our sin at the cross and died
with it.  The punishment that was due us was given to Him, so that we
might be made spotless and blameless before God, allowing us to enter
in to Heaven.  Without us receiving His free gift of salvation, our
sin remains upon us, and we must pay the price of our iniquity.

Jesus is the most important person you can ever come to know.  I advise
each of you to seek Him from within, just you and God.  When the TV is
off, when the music is silent, when there are no distractions, listen
to that still, small voice on the inside.  God desires to know you, and
to save you from the punishment due you from your sin.

-----
As for this forum...

I appreciate everyone's advice.  I view a lot of that advice as overt
negativity and down-putting rather than an effort toward helpful
assistance.  As such, I will depart this group now and continue on
in service to the Lord on my own.  In Him there is hope, guidance,
life, and peace.  His is the better place to be as the people who seek
Him look to build each other up, to help each other out, and not cut
each other down.  This is the difference between people who pursue
Jesus Christ, and people who pursue anything else.

Our life has a purpose and a name:  Jesus Christ.

Seek Him, to learn of Him, that He may set you free from the falseness
of this world.  Peace.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

Wow, are people really like that?

I read this group regularly because I learn a lot from the frequent
contributors who clearly have a great deal of practical experience. And
I appreciate the fact that you're willing to share your knowledge with
those of us who need some help. This guy has gotten a large amount of
useful expert advice (for free!), and then tells the whole group that
we're rude and not really worthy humans unless we agree with his beliefs.

I can't really comment on the falseness of the world, but I sincerely
hope that he remains free of the falseness of this newsgroup for ever after.

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

I think he'll be back.

--

Rick

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

See Hodgin's posts in comp.arch; the followed a similar pattern
and conclusions.

The major difference was that he did a *lot* more proselyting
(and wouldn't stop). Sadly this appears to have been the consequence
of some unspecified Bad Events in his life.

I hope we have enabled him to concentrate his efforts on something
that stands a chance of being successful.

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

WOW, another right wing nut case !!

Hey Rick, when you go off the deep end will you find a chocolate shop to
visit ??

http://www.godchecker.com/

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

Right wing?  His comments were religious.  The right wing label is
political.  What is the connection here?

--

Rick

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

http://bit.ly/1DIDd29

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386
http://www.salon.com/2014/02/22/reagans_christian_revolt_how_conservatives_hijacked_american_religion/

Re: Using FPGA to feed 80386

I'm sorry, but the fact that some people mix religion and politics does
not mean *everyone* who believes in religion is a conservative
politically.  Likewise it does not mean everyone who is conservative
politically is religious.

--

Rick

Site Timeline