Using FPGA Editor to introduce PULLUP and PULLDOWN

Using Xilinx ISE 6.1i, FPGA Editor, it is possible to edit different aspects of the design implementation directly in the .ncd-file after finishing P&R.

Say you have a huge design, that takes forever to run P&R on, is it then possible to make small changes in the .ncd-file, using the FPGA Editor, and then either generate programming files or create a simulation model of it, without running P&R first?

The changes I'm talking about, is moving pin-locations, moving components between slices and last but not least, editing PULLUP/PULLDOWN on pins. I know I can do this in the .ucf og .pcf files, but then I will definately need to rerun P&R, and I want to avoid that.

I trid to introduce PULLDOWN on a pin in a test design just now, and after I did that, I generated a new Post P&R sim model, and ran Modelsim. But nothing happened.

Then I noticed that the file I was actually editing when I had double clicked "View/Edit Routed Design (FPGA Editor)" under the "Place & Route" node in Xilinx Project Navigator was the map_.ncd file, and not the .ncd. So I trid to open the .ncd directly from FPGA Editor, and did the changes there. When I then generated the new Post P&R sim model, I got this warning:

WARNING:Anno:13 - The .ncd is out of sync (not logically equivalent) with the .ngm; therefore, an .nga will be created from the .ncd.

I have tried to find out what this actually means, but I'm new to this, so I haven't figured it out yet. Anyway, when I then started the post P&R simulation with Modelsim, the PULLDOWN was in effect.

When I tried to generate programming files, I could do that wihtout any warnings. But since I havent actually downloaded my code to an FPGA, and meassured the voltage on the actual pin, I'm not really sure weather my modification works or not.

If anyone has had experience with doing this kind of modifications without rerunning P&R, I'd like to hear about it. But any comments are welcome :-)

Sincerely

-Fred

Reply to
Fred H

Yes, you can make changes in FPGA Editor, then use that NCD for timing simulation or bitstream generation. Of course, changes will not be back annotated into your source for the next time you compile.

The NGM is a cross reference file that the mapper creates. It is used when a simulation model is created to make the net names and hierarchy match the input netlist as much as possible (for easier debugging). When you change the NCD in FPGA Editor, the NGM is out of sync, so the tools do not attempt to match the input netlist; they just create a simulation netlist from the new NCD.

It sounds to me like you are doing the right thing and your pulldown should work.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lass

Hi,

I am trying to add PULL up for a Pin. How can i do that in FPGA editor?

Is there any scripts / how to do with GUI ?

Muthu

Reply to
Muthu