Using ChipScope with EDK flow?

Xilinx gurus,

I want to use a ChipScope ILA or 2 in an EDK design. I know I have 2 options for ChipScope: Use the ISE and add a new source and make a ChipScope source/file, or use the ChipScope Core Inserter (used with an ise command line flow), and give the inserter paths to the appropriate ng* files. Then remap place route etc.

However I would really like to use ChipScope with the EDK flow. Certainly the only option here is probably to build my design completely, so that all the netlists are created, then run the ChipScope core inserter, insert the ILA cores into the netlists, and then go back to EDK, and rerun the hw build (and hope it doesn't re synthesize) OR run the rest of the back end with command line scripts. Since the EDK generates some internal logic to include the PPC in the JTAG chain though, I wonder if this is going to mess up the ChipScope JTAG stuff?

Also, I was thinking that making my design in EDK completely, and then when its ready, changing it into an ISE flow, and everything that entails, and then just inserting the ChipScope core like would be done with any ISE flow. I would rather avoid doing this if possible but maybe I will have to.

What say you Xilinx gurus out there?

-Joel

Reply to
Joel

Hi Joel,

What version of EDK are you using?

To the best of my knowledge, the chipscope ILA, IBAs and VIO modules are available in the EDK IP catalog (under "Debug"). You can drop these in just like any other IP block (you need to add a chipscope "ICON" block and wire that up too).

Not sure whether the debugger and chipscope will co-exist on the same JTAG chain (I'm fairly sure they won't). I believe you can get round this by means of a debugger connection over RS232, using an XMD "stub" - but don't quote me on that; I never did it!

Cheers,

-Ben-

Reply to
Ben Jones

Ah... yes.

IP Catalog. I feel really dumb now. It didn't occur to me to check that. Thanks!

-Joel

Ben J> Hi Joel,

Reply to
Joel

XMD and ChipScope DO coexist on the same JTAG chain. You can even cross-trigger, i.e. stop the processor on a Chipscopre trigger event or trigger ChipScope on a software breakpoint to get a complete picture of your hardware/software system at the time of the event.

- Peter

Ben J> Hi Joel,

Reply to
Peter Ryser

Hi Peter,

I wanted to know few things from your explaination.

1) Did you mean that you can use both Debugger (xmd) and Chip scope at the same time?

2) You mentioned a nice point saying " stop the processor on a Chipscopre trigger event or trigger ChipScope on a software breakpoint"

How do you do this ? I am verymuch curious to know more about this. If you can send me some links, then it will be really nice.

Regards, saumyajit

Peter Ryser wrote:

Reply to
saumyajit_tech

Yes, You can use the xmd and chipscope at the same time. This allows crosstriggering between chipscope and processor debugger.

There is an example of using ChipScope with MB/MDM on our website.

Göran Bilski

saumyajit snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.> Hi Peter,

Reply to
Göran Bilski