Using 3rd Party FPGA flows and Xilinx

I am new to FPGA design and have a basic question regarding using 3rd party tools with Xilinx devices.

I know that ISE WebPack is free but it only supports a few designs. So if you are working with a device that is not supported by WebPack and you are using 3rd party tools for synthesis and such do you still need to purchase Xilinx's place and route tools and programming tool (iMPACT)? Or can you get those pieces for free?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Waage

They used t have an Alliance version that had everything IIRC except XST. It was about $1000 dollars cheaper than the full system. I looked on their online store, and I did not see it, so I don't know if it exists anymore.

Reply to
Newman