USB2 camera to Xilinx ML40x boards

Does any one have any software (or experience) to share (or sell) concerning bringing a USB2 camera image into a XILINX ML401, ML402, or ML403 board.

Many thanks,

Brad Smallridge Ai Vision

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

I looked into trying to get a USB camera working on the ML402. The problem is that the ML40x boards are really designed to be USB peripherals and not masters. The webcams all seem to have proprietary interfaces (above the USB layer) and the only real way to use them is with a Windows driver. No webcam manufacturers publish the specs on talking to the camera. You might have better luck connecting to one of the cameras with a standard interface. These are much more expensive though. -Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

Maybe you can use a driver from here:

Other than that it's the RR route.

Reply to
pbdelete

This is why I am going the Firewire route; I looked into USB webcams first and found that there is no standardization, unlike Firewire:

Perhaps Xilinx is working (or collaborating) on a Firewire core, Austin?

Tom

Reply to
soar2morrow

If you can configure the ML402 to behave as a USB master, you can find lots of information regarding the webcam protocols in the Linux kernel sources. Many USB webcams are supported by the spca5xx or pwc drivers, and recent Logitech webcams (Fusion, Pro for Notebook, Pro 5000 and the latest Orbit/Sphere) are supported by the linux-uvc driver.

Laurent Pinchart

Reply to
Laurent Pinchart

My impression of usb is 'toys'. This is esp for electrical if & overhead.

Add a firewire PHY ..?

Reply to
pbdelete

Laurent Pinchart

Reply to
Laurent Pinchart

Hi Brad,

We (PetaLogix) have ported the Linux reference drivers for the Cypress chips to the ML40x boards - initially targetting MicroBlaze uClinux but they will work on PPC Linux as well.

I have made some early investigations into webcam support for this board, there is a bit of work to be done but the basic Video4Linux layer (V4L) seems to work ok on MicroBlaze. Contact PetaLogix ( snipped-for-privacy@petalogix.com) if you'd like to talk in more detail.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams