USB tranciever + controller in FPGA

I'm trying to put together a small board design that I can use to verify the functionality of a microcontroller that has a USB controller/tranceiver built into it. On the board I would like to have only the controller and a single FPGA (say Xilinx Virtex-4), with the FPGA hooked to every I/O of the controller I'm trying to test, including the USB signals. From what I can tell the FPGA supports LVDS with specs that seem to be in line with the USB differential signalling requirements. My question is, has anyone connected an FPGA like this directly to a USB client/host chip, without using a tranciever on the board?

Thanks

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Eric -

I hooked up some version of a Xilinx Spartan or Virtex part straight up to a USB 1.1 port and it worked fine over short distances. I didn't stress test it at all, I jsut got it working to the point that I could verify the USB peripheral code I was working on.

So I think you should be able to get it to work.

John Providenza

Reply to
johnp

Is your device a USB 2.0 or 1.1?

In either case, USB will use both differential pair and single ended signaling, so you need to handle both.

Marc Reinig System Solutions

Reply to
John M