USB Host

Anyone know of a device that makes implementing USB Host mode as painless as something like the FTDI chips? I need to hang a couple of USB Host ports on a V2P.

No, I don't want to implement the USB functionality within the FPGA, those logic resources are far too valuable. Ideally, I'd like a simple single-chip solution that requires almost zero work to get up and going.

I do control what devices will plug into this, so it doesn't need to be as intelligent (and/or complex?) as a full-blown USB framework on a PC.

Thanks

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

The cypress SL811HS can play the host or guest role on an USB bus, but for a USB bus, a lot of other software layers needed.

Bye

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Yes, I heard Atmel has something under development/sale. Intended for a limited functionality, they are intending to deliver you some binaries according to your microprocessor and interface.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

as

on

Atmel has the AT43USB380 OTG controller. This runs the USB host stack on an embedded micrcontroller and presents an API to the main processor which runs a library with the device classes. The library is delivered in object code only, so you will have to use a known architecture, or convince the Atmel USB group to support your choosen architecture. The AT91M40800 or the AT91R40008 are good chips to run the device classes on. Another limitation is the supported device classes. I think the most populoar classes are Mass Storage, HID and printer which are supported. CDC has been discussed some time ago, but I have no updated status.

-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson. Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Nordic AB.

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

Just had a look at this. It is very interesting. Now, the question is, can they be driven by a high-speed (100 MIPS) 8051 derivative?

Of course, there's always the option to hook it into an unused PowerPC processor in the V2P.

An extension to that is...one could also look into running Embedded Linux off the PPC on V2P and dispense with the pain an aggravation.

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

Speaking of Embedded Linux...there's also the Freescale(Motorola) MPC885. An interesting option in that, it can provide external intelligence for a design as well as run Linux, get you USB Host/Peripheral support, 10/100 Ethernet, serial, etc.

What resources are available with regards to running Embedded Linux off a PPC on a V2P?

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

I am also interested in finding a USB2.0 host functionality--my requirements also include the need for vxWorks driver. The chosen chip will have to interface to PPC405 in V2P30 via some custom IP (I'm assuming). Anyone know of an off-the-shelf host controller with vxWorks drivers?

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
Bo

requirements

know

I think that there is a PowerPC library for the AT43USB380, but I am not

100% sure. Maybe you could try mailing usb ath atmel doht com. The library will work with or without an OS so VxWorks should be fine for this chip if the PowerPC support is there.

Obviously the compiler chain you use may be another parameter. I connected the team to Green Hills, so this should be one alternative.

-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson. Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Nordic AB.

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

Cypress, TI and others have USB microcontrollers that power up with enough smarts to connect to a USB driver that would download it's application code. The microcontroller then disconnects and reconnects to the USB host which then uses another driver to talk to the final application code.

These little microc> Anyone know of a device that makes implementing USB Host mode as painless as

Reply to
pedro uno