USB blaster

Hello:

I have seen a couple of Altera development kits that allow you to program the FPGA using a USB port (instead of JTAG). This is accomplished using a usb interface chip such as one from ftdi chip and a cpld from altera (such as max 7000, part# EPM7064).

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain the programming files to program the max 7000?

Thanks in advance/

JS

Reply to
Jeffrey Smith

Hi Jeffrey,

I was asked the same question not long ago because, with our Tornado board

we do USB programming with the ftdi chip :-)

AFAIK, Altera would not be willing to give away the USB Blaster technology, but indeed you should ask them with your own arguments and see their answer.

Designing the CPLD to just send an RBF bitstream at a given bitrate is very simple, provided you accept to write your own programmer utility (very simple too in this limited case). But it couldn't be transparently compatible with Altera's programmer SW and all its functions without deeply reverse-engineering all their USB blaster technology (bit arrangement, commands protocols, reporting, JTag control, etc...) and this is certainly not legal.

The easy way to get USB speed and retain software copatibility with Altera tools is purchasing the Altera USB blaster.

Bert Cuzeau

Jeffrey Smith wrote:

Reply to
info_