USB 2.0 OTG in FPGA

Hello,

I'm trying to develop an USB 2.0 OTG interface with a FPGA (Xilinx or Altera). Therefore I think I'll have to make some sort of IP with UTMI(+) or ULPI interface to communicate with an external PHY. As PHY i was thinking about the ISP150x frow Philips or the USB3300 from SMSC. Maybe someone else better suggestions? Buying a IP is expensing if you're not planning to make lots of the product, unless there is a free USB 2.0 OTG IP-core.

I also need a development/evaluation kit. I found a few interesting boards: hydraXC with the LEEB or the one from asics.ws. Wich one can you recommend?

Hope you can help me.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Bosma

all hydraxc modules have USB OTG connector on them so the LEEB isnt even required, just power the module with 3.3V and plug the USB connector. The USB chip is philips ISP1671

developing and validating (eg passing USB OTG compliance testing) an HS OTG IP core is not less than 1 man year. So buying an IP core or using some other options is possible better choice

both isp150x or usb3300 can be used for the OTG IP core, but it really isnt so reasonable to be implemented in the FPGA also from the resource utilization, etc

so if you need HS use ISP1671 for FS speed I would use Atmel AT90USB1287 but there are other choices also available

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Antti, thanks for your quick reply.

Right now im investigating all possibilities. The hydraXC seems indeed a very interesting solution. But are you sure it hasnt the isp1761 on board in stead of the isp1671. Cause i cant find any infromation of the isp1671.

And what do you know about integrate the PHY into the FPGA? Is it even possible? Cause we maybe want to make an asic of the usb interface. If it isnt possible and just use an external PHY, there are many possibilities. Because all the phys i have seen are using an ulpi or utmi interface. And thats what i prefer.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Bosma

The page

had it wrong. I have now corrected it

Uwe Bonnes

sorry sure 1761, my typo

FPGA is not OK for USB PHY ULPI phys are nice (small package, etc) but the overall effort to get your OTG HS IP core validates is enormous

antti

Reply to
Antti

thanks Uwe, it should have been my responsibility to fix :)

well I am really busy making more reference design and firmware for the hydraxc modules, tested working are u-boot (microblaze), including file load from sd-card sd-card support in uclinux microwindows (uclinux, direct hardware access) some ppc demos also, ppc-linux support in progress for the ISP1761 there are some device mode demos mass storage device, etc, for host mode now also a minimal standalone application that configures the internal hub and request some descriptors from connected device, etc..

Antti

Reply to
Antti