Urgent help programming SPI-flash trough JTAG (Spartan3E)

I need help to program the SPI-memory connected to a Spartan3E device. The memory is a M25P40.

I already have the devices on a circuit board.

What steps must I take to be able to program the SPI-memory via ISE8.1i?

A step by step guide would be nice.

Reply to
Mellby

I want to be able to use Indirect In-System Programming (as described in XAPP445 page 9).

Reply to
Mellby

well there are no useable tools ava=EDlable yet. i have internal tools that do that, either using EXTEST or small ipcores that are loaded into the S3e please contact in private if interested=20

Antti

Reply to
Antti

There is a step-by-step guide for the Spartan-3E Starter Kit board, starting on page 90 in the user guide (UG230). It covers how to generate a programming file and how to use the XAPP445 (XSPI) software.

There are also some programming examples in the Spartan-3E Starter Kit reference designs.

In specific, there is a PicoBlaze-based design that uses the RS-232 interface and HyperTerm.

--------------------------------- Steven K. Knapp Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc. General Products Division Spartan-3/-3E FPGAs

--------------------------------- The Spartan(tm)-3 Generation: The World's Lowest-Cost FPGAs.

Reply to
Steve Knapp (Xilinx Spartan-3 Generation FPGAs)

Steve, the OP asked for SPI indirect jtag programming, this is possible with software from Altera Lattice Xilant

Xilinx is not on the list - and none of the references from your posting has relevant info how to implemented the jtag indirect SPI programming

we are using a very simply BSCAN to SPI gateway - available for download here

and rather simple JTAG programming using custom jtag host software, but also it would be possible to convert the programming file to SVF and just play it agains the SPI gateway and you get the SPI flash programmed

Antti

Reply to
Antti

sorry, sure JTAG Tech, etc also, I left the big JTAG companies out of the list as I assumed its obvious they support the SPI programming over boundary scan.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Also add JTAG Technologies

I've done this for microcontrollers, I2C devices etc (not SPI yet, but the principle is the same). and used Xilinx, Altera, and JTAG Technologies software to program the devices.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?