Uploading data to the DDR memory on the ML300 board

Dear all,

I am working on the Xilinx ML300 prototying board. I have a Linux image that needs to be uploaded to the DDR memroy.

I tried for a few days and was unable to figure out how this can be done. Can any one kindly give me some hints?

Even if you may not have the board, can you share your experience on how usually this is done?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards, Jingzhao

PS: I do know that the data for the on-chip BRAM is initialized through the bitstream generated using the DATA2BRAM program.

Reply to
ouj

Hi

First, I must insist that I have no experience with ML300 so no guarantee that what I propose is "the way to go (tm)".

But can't you use some BRAM as a ROM, then put the bootloader in it (since it's small), then make your processor boot that rom. Then the bootloader, inits what need to be initialized for linux to run (like the DDR memory controller), then download the image from the outside world (or from some other BRAM blocks ... )

That's how it works in usual embedded systems I worked with that don't use FPGA. Here, the BRAM is just used for the purpose of what flash is used on other systems ...

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

Have a look at section 5 "Booting the kernel via JTAG" on this page, it talks about exactly this problem.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams