Upgrading OS or WebPack

Hei,

I will start developing FPGA applications with WebPack. My problem is that my OS is WinNT, which is not supported by WebPack 5.2i. I've got a CD laying round here with WebPack version 4.2WP0.0.

Can anybody tell me if the advantages of v. 5.2i are so much that upgrading to Win2000 really is necessary?

My application will run on a Spartan-II device. Clock speed wil not be an issue, but efficient use of logic cells might be.

Thanks,

Aart

Reply to
Aart van Beuzekom

I can tell you why I upgraded from NT to W2K ... no support for USB.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Judd

There are other reasons to upgrade to Win2000 and it can be fairly painless. If you are interested, email me.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

yes, I am aware of other advantages of running W2K, but the major disadvatage is that this also implies buying a new PC and using a lot of time installing all current programs again. If possible, I want to stick to NT until I've got time to install a new OS (which probably means that I will run NT as long as I work here :-)).

Although it is not supported, I installed WebPack 5.2i under NT and the example program (traffic light) runs fine. Does anybody foresee where the problems may rise?

Thanks,

Aart

Rob Judd wrote:

Reply to
Aart van Beuzekom

At a guess I think you should be fine except for impact via a parallel cable.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Mason

I would concurr. Generally Win2000 has good dos/batch support, which you tend to need on engineering PCs. Wrinkles I've seen so far in Win2000 in eng. development:

Within batch files, >file.log fails, but >>file.log works - go figure.... ( first should redirect to file, 2nd is same, but appends the file )

Some Programmers editors launch DOS apps better than others in Win2000. Still characterising that one....

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Upgrade to a real operating system, Linux. The 5.2 tools work fine using wine on Linux. Next month the 6.1 release will run natively on Linux.

Reply to
B. Joshua Rosen

Redhat 7.3 and 8.0 will be officially supported.

Yes, 6.1i will be officially support on SP2, 3, and 4.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lass

Exactly - it will not officially support Linux, but only two particular versions of one distribution. Redhat is one of the more popular distros in the US, but it is not the most popular (at least, for desktops/workstations) in many other parts of the world, and you are not even looking at the most recent versions. Before you can really say you official support Linux, rather than just a couple of specific versions, you should be happy to support installation on at least Redhat, Suse, Mandrake, Debian for several versions, including the latest ones. This will also mean you can be confident of it working on almost all systems, except perhaps very old or obscurely configured ones, although no one would expect a supplier to test their softare on every combination!

However, even support for just a couple of distro versions is a big step forward, and we can hope it is the start of an on-going commitment to linux support for the tools. Perhaps once the webpack is available for linux, you'll provide information and guidelines on installation on other distros that are not officially supported by xilinx - you can be sure there will be users willing to test it for you.

Reply to
David Brown

So they will just freak when I run it on SuSE Linux/AMD64:-)

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,
Stephen Williams