Upgrading OS or WebPack

Hei,

I will start developing FPGA applications with WebPack. My problem is
that my OS is WinNT, which is not supported by WebPack 5.2i. I've got a
CD laying round here with WebPack version 4.2WP0.0.

Can anybody tell me if the advantages of v. 5.2i are so much that
upgrading to Win2000 really is necessary?

My application will run on a Spartan-II device. Clock speed wil not be
an issue, but efficient use of logic cells might be.

Thanks,

Aart

Re: Upgrading OS or WebPack

I can tell you why I upgraded from NT to W2K ... no support for USB.

Rob

Re: Upgrading OS or WebPack
yes, I am aware of other advantages of running W2K, but the major
disadvatage is that this also implies buying a new PC and using a lot of
time installing all current programs again. If possible, I want to stick
to NT until I've got time to install a new OS (which probably means that
I will run NT as long as I work here :-)).

Although it is not supported, I installed WebPack 5.2i under NT and the
example program (traffic light) runs fine. Does anybody foresee where
the problems may rise?

Thanks,

Aart

Re: Upgrading OS or WebPack

At a guess I think you should be fine except for impact via a parallel
cable.

Ralph

Re: Upgrading OS or WebPack

 I would concurr.
Generally Win2000 has good dos/batch support, which you tend to need
on engineering PCs.
 Wrinkles I've seen so far in Win2000 in eng. development:

 Within batch files, >file.log fails, but >>file.log works - go
figure....
( first should redirect to file, 2nd is same, but appends the file )

 Some Programmers editors launch DOS apps better than others in Win2000.
Still characterising that one....

-jg

Re: Upgrading OS or WebPack

There are other reasons to upgrade to Win2000 and it can be fairly
painless.  If you are interested, email me.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: Upgrading OS or WebPack

Upgrade to a real operating system, Linux. The 5.2 tools work fine using
wine on Linux. Next month the 6.1 release will run natively on Linux.

Re: Upgrading OS or WebPack

Redhat 7.3 and 8.0 will be officially supported.

Yes, 6.1i will be officially support on SP2, 3, and 4.

Steve

Re: Upgrading OS or WebPack

Exactly - it will not officially support Linux, but only two particular
versions of one distribution.  Redhat is one of the more popular distros in
the US, but it is not the most popular (at least, for desktops/workstations)
in many other parts of the world, and you are not even looking at the most
recent versions.  Before you can really say you official support Linux,
rather than just a couple of specific versions, you should be happy to
support installation on at least Redhat, Suse, Mandrake, Debian for several
versions, including the latest ones.  This will also mean you can be
confident of it working on almost all systems, except perhaps very old or
obscurely configured ones, although no one would expect a supplier to test
their softare on every combination!

However, even support for just a couple of distro versions is a big step
forward, and we can hope it is the start of an on-going commitment to linux
support for the tools.  Perhaps once the webpack is available for linux,
you'll provide information and guidelines on installation on other distros
that are not officially supported by xilinx - you can be sure there will be
users willing to test it for you.

Re: Upgrading OS or WebPack

So they will just freak when I run it on SuSE Linux/AMD64:-)

--
Steve Williams                "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
steve at icarus.com           But I have promises to keep,