Update on Virtex II Pro Linux

Hi,

I have integrated various patches and the Xuartlite driver from John Williams to get kernel 2.4.20 up and running on the development board.

Although I have now done this I am interested to hear official board support status from others. I have yet to hear back from Mind.

Jon.

Reply to
Jon Masters

Good work! Glad the driver is useful - let me know if you find any bugs or improvements.

Along this line - could you (or anybody else) maybe give us a run-down of the status of the various linux ports for the V2Pro PPC devices? I'm aware of the MontaVista commercial port, but am unsure about costs and licensing and access and so on. Someone suggested to me recently that the MontaVista V2Pro dev. env. was big $$$. Is it possible to work around this using free tools and so on?

Then there's this "Mind" group you mention, what's that all about?

I guess the reason I ask is that these "fringe ports" seem to languish outside the mainstream for a long time, making it difficult for people to pick them up and get started. For example, the NIOS port of uClinux was done 2 or 3 years ago, but even now is not fully integrated into the "official" uClinux source tree[1]. Further, the extent to which it is there seems mostly due to efforts by the uClinux maintainers, rather than Altera or Microtronix. I suppose you need some passionate users who are prepared to do the legwork to get this stuff integrated.

Cheers,

John

[1] I'm doing my best to ensure that uclinux on microblaze doesn't suffer the same fate!
Reply to
John Williams

All the work Xilinx is doing with MontaVista on Linux for Virtex-II Pro (i.e. PowerPC) is published under GPL to the open source repository accessible at

(see "Kernel Source", linuxppc_2_4_devel)

This means that all the kernel sources for the different hardware cores (peripherals) running on Virtex-II Pro are available from the repository and, thus, make it into the different distributions from various "vendors". MontaVista Linux is one of them, SuSE and ELDK are others.

We (Xilinx) recommend MontaVista as its Linux partners for Virtex-II Pro FPGA based systems for various reasons, support is one of them. Said that, you are still free to do-it-yourself using the the exact same sources.

There seems to exist a lot of confusion about different ports, so let me summarize:

- official open source repository with the latest and greatest Virtex-II Pro (PPC) support:

- professional Linux distribution for Virtex-II Pro with corresponding support recommended by Xilinx:

I hope, this helps.

- Peter

Antti Lukats wrote:

Reply to