Understanding Xilinx Spartan 3 datasheet IOB timing information

Hi, Im calculating the memory bandwidth achievable when interfacing a Xilinx Spartan 3 (XC3S200, -4 speedgrade) with a Samsung 133MHz ZBT SRAM (128k x 36bit). In general I have found the Spartan 3 datasheet very good (I like the text/description column in the switching characteristics section of the datasheet) but in the following instance I am stuck (probably due to my lack of understanding rather than the datasheet.)

To do the memory bandwidth timing calculation I need to know the following FPGA IOB timing:

1)the clock to out delay for the IOB OFF(output flipflop) and 2)setup time for the IOB IFF(input flipflop).

Finding 1) from the datasheet: I found table 12 on page11 of the DC and switching characteristics section. The "pin to pin clock to output time for the IOB output path" is Tickofdcm = 2.59ns. (DCM in use) But then when I look deeper into the datasheet I also find table 17 on pg 16 called Timing for the IOB output path. Tiockp gives a clock to output time of 4.18ns. What is the difference between these two timing paramaters? What I want to know is the time from a rising edge on OFF's OTCLK to the data bit appearing at the FPGA Pin on the PCB.

Finding 2) from the datasheet: Table 13 on pg 12 is called "pin to pin setup and hold times for the IOB input path". Tpsdcm = 2.72ns is the relevant parameter. But then table 14 "Setup and hold times for the IOB input path" show Tiopick = 1.32ns. Which of these two timing parameters should I use? what is the difference?

Notes: The IO standard used is LVCMOS25 I am using Spartan 3 datasheet DS099, march 4, 2004.

I also noticed an interesting thing in table 19, output timing adjustments for IOB, LVCMOS25 FAST. The 16mA and 24mA drivers are slower than the 12mA drivers? I expected them to be faster.

Also noticed the datasheet seems to be "advance product specification" which according to the datasheet is described as "These specifications are based on simulations only...." Scary stuff. Is there a more appropriate place I should be getting my timing numbers from, e.g. download latest speed files and use timing analyzer? Is the documentation just out of date? They must have characterized the production silicon right?

Regards Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

The Memory Corner on xilinx.com (

) has good information on timing analysis for ZBT designs, along with some new Spartan-3 app notes.

Most of the data sheet and speed file parameters are relative to the pins on a given logic block (including device pins for the IOB block). An example is Tiockp, which is measured from the clock input on the IOB to the output pin. Some parameters are between two device pins, such as Tickofdcm, which includes the clock input IOB, the path through the DCM and the clock routing, and finally the Tiockp block delay to the output pin. If that's the path you're going to use, it's much more meaningful to have all the delays added together for you than just looking at individual block delays.

You are correct that typically higher drive provides higher performance, but there can be exceptions. Note that we have made some modifications to these numbers in the latest speed file and for your device the 16 mA and

24 mA outputs are slightly faster than 12 mA. The speed file is always the most specific and the most accurate, and was just updated > Hi,

-- Marc Baker Xilinx Applications (408) 879-5375

Reply to
Marc Baker