uClinux on Virtex-4 Mini-Module

Hi Folks,

Does anybody has any experience with uClinux running on Virtex4FX12 (ML403?) in PPC 405 processor. Can the LL_TEMAC drivers be connected to the OS if I have a normal Linux version drivers? I want to get it running on GSRD2 on Avnet Virtex-4 Mini-Module, because FLASH for standalone operation is only 4MB deep. This is not enough for any other OS with TCP/IP support (or a TCP/IP stack).

Cheers,

Guru

Reply to
Guru

Guru schrieb:

there is no uClinux for the PPC. If you want to have PPC to be used you have to have Linux on it.

the -50 modules are shipped with PPC-linux reference design, the image is actually smaller than microblaze-uclinux. And yes it includes networking support. I think the ppc-linux image is 1.3MB so it would easily fits into 4MB flash. Too bad that the friend of John Williams did decide to remove the website with that PPC-linux distribution from the internet, so that download is no longer available.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

The only reference design for V4MM (from uCLinux website) uses MB (too bad). But the source files for uClinux include also the support for PPC, but I don't know if it is a working version.

hydraXC-50 probably has the uClinux preloaded (although it is written that all the designs inluce MB and uClinux), but see the price (double!!).

I guess I have to contact John Williams on this matter.

Thanks,

Guru

Antti wrote:

Reply to
Guru

Antti,

I can see you are personally involved in development, that's why you have good info on this matter. The modules look VERY good (full of features), only the price bothers me. I cannot move to another platform right now, because my hardware is designed for Mini-Module. I guess I will have to implement the PPC-uClinux by myself :(

Cheers,

Guru

Antti wrote:

Reply to
Guru

Guru schrieb:

read what I wrote - PPC-linux (not uClinux) image is 1.3MB only so it would work on V4MM also.

all hydraXC-xx modules come with support DVD that includes VMWare preconfigured environments so building a new MB-uclinux or PPC-linux kernel for the hydraXC modules is only the matter of typing

make

:)

-- there is no PPC-uclinux ASFAIK and I see no reason on even working on it.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Wasn't the whole Idea of uClinux to have a port to chip without memory management? If this is true, a uClinux would cripple the PowerPC. Might as well use the real thing.

-Eli

Antti wrote:

Reply to
Eli Hughes

Antti,

You are probably trying to say: buy hydraXC module and you will get a fully configurable MB-uClinux and PPC-linux. VMWare probably means that I can compile the OS using Windows and linux in a virtual machine. What about the memory management in PPC-linux? What can the PPC-linux do besides networking (multithreading...)? Is the GSRD2 LL_TEMAC driver included? If not, can I use the linux driver made for normal linux (MV or tarball 2.16.)?

Cheers,

Guru

Antti wrote:

Reply to
Guru

"Guru" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Hi

I was saying that

1) I do provide better support than Avnet/Memec does 2) hydraXC modules have 'added values' compared to say V4MM

VMWare means that there is a known good kernel compile environment so need for the user todo any setup, its all prepared. Yes you double click on .vmx file it starts linux in VMwar player, then type make and get your kernel.

the PPC-linux should be rather full linux with MMU, its configured rathter minimal, with uart timer and opb_ethernet

as of using TEMAC drivers I do not know. I will be looking into the EDK TEMAC but later currently we have no working designs based on TEMAC only with opb_ethernet

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats