UART CORE FOR NIOS

We are working on a proect using NIOS which needs to talk to the PC Via a serial port, However we found that the core supplied by AILTERA seems to work at slow speed only even the core is runing at 50mhz, it seems that it cannot run faster than 2400baud, Any body has silmiar problems? We are trying a UART with FIFO but still struggling with it.

Any ideas/ suggestion?

Reply to
lesnleung

UARTs are easy. These work at 19.2k on a Spartan 2e clocked at 24MHz, IIRC. If you want FIFOs and all that fancy stuff you'll have to add them -- these are just basic UARTs that expect to be backed up by logic that's just sitting around waiting for a job to do.

I'm a beginner at verilog design; apparently that means that I had trouble remembering how to make comments...

/**********************************************************************

asyncSer.v

Various handy utility modules.

**********************************************************************/

`define IDLE_BIT 0 `define START_BIT 1 `define DATA_BIT 2 `define STOP_BIT 3

module asyncTx(clock, reset, data, write, txd, rts, empty); parameter baudDiv = 11'd1280; input clock; input reset; input [7:0] data; input write; output reg txd; output reg rts; output reg empty;

reg [7:0] shift; reg [2:0] count; reg [1:0] state; reg [10:0] baud;

always @ (state) empty = state == `IDLE_BIT;

always @ (posedge reset or posedge clock) begin if (reset) begin rts

Reply to
Tim Wescott

You could try using the opencores 16550. Having a wishbone interface it wraps nicely into a SOPC component...

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark McDougall

Seemes strange to me. The UART supplied in SOPC builder, under Communication, on my system can be configured for up to 115200bps. It might not have a FIFO, but it supports streaming, so you should be able to connect it to your own FIFO.

Reply to
htoerrin