tri-state in altera

--

--Ray Andraka, P.E. President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.

401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 email snipped-for-privacy@andraka.com

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Reply to
Ray Andraka

Jan,

Of course! I was th> > Also, if you put one block Ram per processor, you get an area of at least

--

--Ray Andraka, P.E. President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.

401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 email snipped-for-privacy@andraka.com

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Reply to
Ray Andraka

I'm not sure that "lots of speed" translates into don't need tbufs. I'd expect that designers expectations and goals would grow to use all available resources - both space and time.

Yes, if I'm using a modern/fast part to implement an old design, I may be able to make speed/space tradeoffs. But I could also be speeding up the whole project and expecting a state machine that used to run a X MHz to now run at 3X or 5X. (adjust your goals to match the age of your design)

Is there something fundamentally evil with tbufs? Or is the problem that they don't scale because the chips are getting bigger (when measured in gates, not microns).

Suppose I design a FPGA with old fashioned tbufs and long lines, but don't cover the width of the whole chip, but just X LUT/FF units. Would that track other speed improvements as silicon gets faster?

Hal Murray

No, interconnect does not scale. Interconnect gets slower as the device geometry gets smaller.

Transistors scale. As they get smaller, the operating voltage decreases and the switching speed increases. Nice, eh?

Interconnect has a bulk resistivity set by the material. The end-to end resistance is (resistivity*length)/(width*thickness). If the ratios between length : width : thickness are constant, the resistance doubles if the size halves. This is why interconnect was almost ignorable at 3 micron geometry and is a major source of delay at .90 micron, even after changing to copper with a lower bulk resistivity.

-- Phil Hays Phil_hays at posting domain should work for email

Reply to
Phil Hays

Let me correct this:

  1. Resistance by itself does not matter. The product of resistance times capacitance matters.
  2. When the process is scaled down, the metal thickness really is not (or hardly) reduced. It still is around a micron, as it has been for years. So, when all horizontal dimensions are cut in half, the metal traces become half as wide and half as long, which means resistance is constant. Yes, most metal traces are now much thicker than they are wide! And it would appear that the capacitance of a half-width trace that is half as long would be reduced 75%, and the RC product would thus be 4 times lower.

Reality is less benign, since the capacitive fringe effects take over, and the sidewall capacitance and the trace-to-trace capacitance really increases.

Interconnect delays matter, but we can send a signal over quite a distance in a single nanosecond. And on clock lines we can magically eliminate the delay completely, using a DCM.

Peter Alfke

Phil Hays wrote:

Reply to
Peter Alfke