Transistor count

Hi!

Could someone tell me how many transistors are integrated on the XC3S5000 Spartan-3 device? Thank You. Arnaldo.

Reply to
Arnaldo Oliveira

--Ray Andraka, P.E. President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.

401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 email snipped-for-privacy@andraka.com

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Reply to
Ray Andraka

I think the answer is " more than 100 million, but less than 300 million".

We are caught between embarrassment: "that's how many we need" and pride: "that's how good we are, to be able to make and sell that many for a reasonable price".

An then there still are some pe>

Reply to
Peter Alfke

I think that's because one of the standards counts transistors in its MTBF.. so a PAL is more reliable than an FPGA but less reliable than an HC00.

Simon

binary

XC3S5000

Reply to
Simon Peacock

Simon,

That is for the lazy folks: if you know the reliability (from studies, manufacturers data, etc.) you can choose to replace the "count method" with the real data (wow, what a concept!).

The "count method" is there as a last resort, if there is no other way to gauge reliability. Once you see the count method numbers, it should send you screaming to get the real data. The standards bodies know this, and understand this, it is just that lazy engineers just keep filling out the forms as if they were still designing in 1968 ....

Our reliability group is happy to provide the latest and most up to date reliability information for completing these studies properly (per the standard). Please make the request thru the hotline.

Aust> I think that's because one of the standards counts transistors in its MTBF..

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Many years ago, somebody told me that system reliability was roughly: connectors solder joints bond wires on chip problems

I think the handwave was a factor of 10 each step. (Big handwave.)

Is that still a good rough cut? Any obvious overview article I should scan for a modern view?

Is on-chip failure rate anything anybody should worry about these days? What fraction of real-world failures are caused by ESD or running too hot? (or ...?)

Hal Murray

Hal,

That is still true.

If you look at the calculation of reliability methods used by the telecom business, the NEBS (new equipment building standards) from Telcordia (aka Bellcore), you will find all of these items with their listed FIT rate (failures per billion hours).

Things like fuses (100 fits), and diodes (7 fits), or connectors (10 fits per mating pin-pair), are listed from their historical data, which can be tossed out and replaced with your own data, or data from the manufacturer.

Aust> >I think that's because one of the standards counts transistors in its MTBF..

Reply to
Austin Lesea

with the

gauge

understand

they

There is a story I heard some years ago, related to statistical physics, but it should work for any statistics problem. A person was told that the probability of a bomb being on an airplane was 1 in 1000, but the probability of two bombs was 1 in 1000000. To be safe, he always brought his own bomb on the plane. (I think those are the numbers in the story, which has no relation to any real planes or real bombs.)

The important thing in a large number of problems is statistical independence. When all the transistors on a single chip are made at the same time, using the same process, the probability of one failing is not statistically independent of another failing. A bad batch of any of the chemicals that go into the processing, various mechanical problems that could occur, or any number of other events tend to affect all the transistors on a chip equally. Without statistical independence any count based method will fail, just like in the bomb story.

-- glen

Reply to
Glen Herrmannsfeldt

You missed the point.. I'm the engineer who has to deal with his Boss quoting specs which I know are out moded was just mentioning the problem as I have come across this before.. You and I both know that a single FPGA is far more reliable than 500 transistors.. Just sometimes the piece of paper is the piece of paper.. and unless you find a standards organisation willing to certify a new, better method, you get left with more paper ...then, of course, you have to convince my boss :-) but at the moment we usually don't both with reliability reports.. there are just usual design practices used to keep the reliability as high as possible... like don't use a 5V cap on a 5V rail :-) Am not designing for space or aircraft so I have that luxury.

Simon

with the

gauge

understand

they

MTBF..

million".

of

told

Reply to
Simon Peacock

That would be true for some failure modes due to incorrect construction. But there is a very low failure rate due to "wear" of the semiconductor. This would include electro-migration, void migration and a host of other effects I don't remember. If you have a failure rate per transistor for a given process, then counting transistors can be applied to these failure modes. The question is whether these modes are significantly more or less likely to make the chip fail than other external failure modes like the PSU overvolting or someone dropping a hammer on the chip.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

XC3S5000 System Gate: 5M Equivalent Logic Cells: 74,880

I'm doing a research about method to estimate that number by using only datasheet.

Reply to
kangsotheara

Hmm. Some dumb guesses, as they don't give so many details now.

Maybe configuration bits are stored in 6 transistor SRAM cells.

Dual-port BRAM probably takes somewhat more per bit.

LUT4s should be made up of cascaded 2 input MUX to avoid glitches, if you have true and inverted select lines (8 transistors) the 7 MUX should be 8 transistors each, so 8*7+8 or 64.

LUT bits need to be writable to use them as RAM, so a few more transitors for each bit to allow that.

OK, try an easier way, instead.

The XC3S5000 is supposed to be equal to 5M system gates. The usual gate is 4 transistors, so 20M.

A rough guess is that the FPGA is a factor of two less efficient in gate usage than ASIC, so that would be 40M.

Block RAM is 1872*1024 bits of, maybe 10 transistors each. LUT RAM is 520*1024 bits, of, maybe 20 transistors each. That is, 320 for an LUT4, which doesn't sound far off.

We need 104 block 18x18 multipliers, which might take about as many transistors as the BRAM. That would be 184320 transistors each, which is about right for an 18x18 multiplier.

This looks like it might be closer to 60M.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

1) You do realize you just dug up an 11-year-old thread? On Friday, September 12, 2003 ... 2) It would be a lot easier to estimate by the die area and process node. Besides the config SRAM cells, don't forget that since Virtex (original) and Spartan 2 all Xilinx FPGA's have buffered routing. So everywhere you see connections between lines in the FPGA editor there are active drivers. 3) Other than some academic exercise, why would you care how many transistors are used? Are interested in the silicon efficiency of FPGAs vs. ASICs?
--
Gabor
Reply to