TPS75003 for FPGAs

Has anyone checked out the new TI power supply for FPGAs, the TPS75003:

I was considering it for a potential Spartan-3E design and was looking for feedback from anyone who has sampled it or knows more about it. In particular, I was wondering if the reference design on page 7 of the datasheet was well suited for the -3E, or if anyone recommended other parts or modifications.

Thanks :)

Reply to
Jason Lewis

We are now in the design phase of a product with two Spartan3 XC3S200 FPGA's.

I could get samples from TI directly.

I just used the reference design practically as is, with POSCAP capacitors on the outputs + a few ceramics. The prototype should be available in about one month. If you are interested in comments then, please feel free to address me a small E-Mail in a few weeks.

Reply to
A Beaujean

For this sort of thing, I usually get a couple of samples and make a simple test PCB for myself. I've just ordered a couple of samples to play with.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

I have checked it out as well. One thing I noted is that for the 1.2V rail (which you'll need for the core) the maximum best-case efficiency from a 5V input is just shy of 80% and for everything other than load around 1A you're looking at max 75%.

I am working on a Point-of-Load supply that supplies the same 3 outputs (3A for core, 3A for I/O of variable voltage, and 250mA for Vaux) but in a device similar to the POLA devices from TI and others. The initial circuit is getting around 86% efficiency at 2A on my bench from 5V input. I haven't fully qualified it through the range though.

As an added bonus, there will be a serial PROM option that will save you even more board space by moving all the support circuitry for the FPGA onto a daughterboard.

I intend to make this supply available for sale if you're interested. There is also a 6A version in the forecast as well for even more dense designs.

Contact me at snipped-for-privacy@stOratSPfordAdigitMal.ca if you're interested (remove the CAPITAL letters from that email address).

Cheers.

Reply to
James Morrison

TPS75003:

looking for

parts

For our S3 design, we used the power manager device. It is a programmable power sequencing chip. It saved us as we had to have different voltage sequencing for the fpga and our MCU. If you are using FETs, the 1208 is the one to use. The software is free and it is easy to use.

Teo