Tools on Linux

Does any of the current FPGA manufacturers have free tools that work under Linux? I know that Xilinx ISE used to, but that was about a decade ago.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Microsemi does, but I have not tried them.

Reply to
Wendell

Xilinx ISE, Xilinx Vivado, and Altera Quartus all work under Linux. They can all be touchy about the exact Linux they're running under, which is why I've got them all walled off in VMs. Vivado I run under Ubuntu, Quartus on CentOS.

Rob Gaddi

Yes

--

Rick C
Reply to

I have Altera Quartus Prime (used to be II) on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS.

Lite version is free. Expect a very big installation (30+ GiB) if you install everything, e.g., SoC EDS. A smaller installation is possible, if you download and install from individual files.

From Xilinx, the HLx free edition, should work, I think I last tested on Ubuntu Linux 15.10.

Reply to
Nikolaos Kavvadias

Lattice Diamond software is available for Linux in a RPM package.

I have not tried it but I will one of these days, the Linux I use as a training vehicle is Mint a derivative of Ubuntu which is Debian based and does not natively use RPM packages but I believe it has the capability to install RPM packages.

--
Cecil - k5nwa
Reply to

Libero SoC may need to have some motif library installed which is not in mainstream distros anymore. Also the patching program they use is not mainstream and seems only supported on redhat/centos.

The development SDK called SoftConsole (eclipse) is in version 3.5 depending on some custom actel binary to download to the chip.

I would say that it is still windows target, but linux may become viable.

--
svenn
Reply to

Sure, I use ise 13 and 14 under Linux. Since I have a 64-bit Linux kernel, I could not get ise 10 to install directly in Linux, so I ended up putting it on a Windows virtual machine. I really didn't want to spend much time doing that to make one tiny change to a legacy project. Under the right Linux environment, ise 10 should work, too. (It used to.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Hi! For Lattice iCE40 FPGAs project IceStorm is definitely worth checking out:

"The IceStorm flow (Yosys, Arachne-pnr, and IceStorm) is a fully open source Verilog-to-Bitstream flow for iCE40 FPGAs."

It's demonstrated in the following presentations:

A Free and Open Source Verilog-to-Bitstream Flow for iCE40 FPGAs

Verilog Synthesis and Formal Verification with Yosys

Formal Verification with Yosys-SMTBMC

More:

"Open-Source Tools for FPGA Development" talk at this year's LinuxCon:

"Icarus Verilog & Friends"

Best,

Matt

Reply to
Matt D.

Usually they'll work, but it needs some shared library package installing and it takes a little bit of fiddling to work out what that is for your distro. Google is your friend here, or else ldd. I have managed to run most EDA tools (Xilinx, Altera, Cadence, Mentor, Synopsys) under Ubuntu with a little fiddling, even though vendors typically only support RHEL.

A VM is the simplest way, though not always quickest (both in runtime and installation). Or run everything under CentOS, since vendors like RHEL.

The accretion of mine and others' notes from our local installations are here:

however they are long overdue for a tidy (and removal of decade-old stuff)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos