Tip: Spotlight (OS X) indexing of VHDL files

Greetings All,

For the OS X readers out there, I found this article to be very usefull for enabling Spotlight indexing of source files - it needs to be repeated for each extension (.vhdl, .vhd, etc.)

Cue Intel and XST on DarWine?...

--
cds
Reply to

enabling Spotlight

.vhd, etc.)

Now all we need to do is to convince Brands A, M and X to port their tools to OS X and we can finally dump our virus- and spyware-ridden PCs FOR GOOD.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

I second that! I would love to see Brand X (you know who you are) to port their tools to OS X. It seems that alot fo the tools are Java based, it should be that hard. Furthermore, since they compile for X11 /Linux, porting (in theory) shouldn't be all that hard. Now that MAC is switching to Intel, that adds some warm fuzzies to porting. I would even just like to have the command line tools! That should be very easy to port!

I really like the Mac system and hope to see the tools available soon

-Eli

Andy Peters wrote:

enabling Spotlight

.vhd, etc.)

Reply to
Eli Hughes

Eli Hughes ( snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu) wrote: : I second that! I would love to see Brand X (you know who you are) to : port their tools to OS X. It seems that alot fo the tools are Java : based, it should be that hard. Furthermore, since they compile for X11 : /Linux, porting (in theory) shouldn't be all that hard. Now that MAC is : switching to Intel, that adds some warm fuzzies to porting. I would : even just like to have the command line tools! That should be very easy : to port!

: I really like the Mac system and hope to see the tools available soon

Amen to that. The tools do (did?) run under Wine, and Wine is supported on the BSD and X11 layers of OS X (google for DarWine) - in fact it is possible to try the 'X' tools now under Wine on an x86 build of Darwin (free OS X BSD core) - I'm tempted to give that a go...

With the Spotlight feature in OS X 10.4, the Mac has far surpassed any other platform I've used for writing code - it's really nifty selecting a signal name in a diagram, right clicking for 'search is spotlight' and instantly getting a list of all source files, data sheets and my own docs that reference it...

I know FPGA dev is a small market and not worth much oulay for supporting odd platforms, but historically EDA tools favooured powerhouse Unix boxes, which coincedentally the Mac now is...

Chris

Reply to
c d saunter