TigerSHARC TS201 to PLX 9656

Hi,

Has anyone tried bridging the TS201 TigerSHARC with the PLX 9656 device? I'm trying to implement this in a current project and need details. The bridging is done via an Altera FPGA which also has to have custom logic for other functions such as Ethernet, sFPDP,etc.

I know that the TS201 core runs at 600 MHz and the I/O bus at around

83.5 MHz. But at what speed does the PLX 9656 local bus run? Can the TS201 be connected directly to the PLX chip? Are there anyother alternatives to the PLX chip?
Reply to
eapen.abraham

The PLX9656 has four different local bus modes, but in all cases the bus is 32-bits wide at 66 MHz max. You should have no problems meeting the timing with a (recent vintage) FPGA. You won't be able to directly connect the TigerSHARC and the PLX9656 unless you get lucky and the bus on the TS201 matches one of those on the PLX9656 and can be run at 66 MHz or slower.

Reply to
Gabor

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I know that the PLX operates at 66MHz MAX and the TS201 at 83MHz (I/O). I need to use some asynchronous glue logic to interface both like an async fifo. The other doubt i had in mind was with regards to the control lines of the PLX and TS201. The TS201 has what is called memory banks that are used for memory, I/O accesses. Have to check up the TS201 read/write cycles and also with the PLX.

Reply to
eapen.abraham

If your budget can cope, I suggest

for both of your threads roday

Reply to
colin

As far as I know, VMetro does not have any TS201 based boards.

However, you will find ones at

with TS201s and PCI interfaces.

Reply to
Ron Huizen

Thx for the replies. Well, I do know bout Vmetro and Bittware. But my client does not want to use these chips. I dont know why they don't want to use the SharcFin chip. So am stuck with the PLX and the FPGA.

Reply to
eapen.abraham