TI Technical screening phone interview

Hey All, I have a technical screen interview with TI based in dallas. I am a front-end digital design engineer with two years of experience is designing DSPs in FPGAs. This is the first time I would be going through a technical screening-don't know what it means actually...is it a fancier term for a technical interview? Anyways, if anyone has gone through this, please share your experience-it would be good info cheers MORPHEUS

Reply to
morpheus

It means whatever TI thinks it means.

It could be an engineer asking you technical questions, or it could be a recruiter asking you the same. It's hard to say.

On the opposite side from you, I have conducted preliminary phone interviews, I've compiled questions for phone screeners to ask and I've evaluated answers from those same screens. I know that when I do it I usually try to ask questions that are hard enough to trip up the interviewee at least once, and I don't look for a 100% score to recommend a hire. What I do look for is 'yes' answers to the following questions:

  • Will this guy come up to speed quickly?
  • Will this guy keep up in the long run?
  • Can this guy talk about what he does so his work will be traceable?
  • Can this guy work within a group?
  • Can this guy understand where we come from?

Note that the first two questions start with 'will' -- I think it's unrealistic to hire with the expectation that someone will already know everything about the task. I _do_ think it's realistic that someone will be be _able_ to learn all the local peculiarities quickly, and be useful in a matter of a few weeks. I also think it's realistic to expect that anyone who's not a fresh college hire (and most that are) have already worked in a group with good work documentation.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services