test signals for testing of leaf level entities in a design

Hi, During hierarchical design we often break down the design into small manageable parts. Now inter block communication specs are specified for this design alongwith internal function requirements. To verify the internal functioning and to simulate the external inputs to this design, we usually write force files in Modelsim. Now if we create a set of commmonly available stimuli like do-done handshake, random pulses, random duration levels, etc in Tcl, we could directly apply them to the signals on the interface we want to check. For response type of interfaces we could add dummy "done" generators. Now once such a suite of test inputs is available, we could easily test most of the small entities in a zap. Is such a tool done already? and are there some more types of communication behavious i am overlooking? I somehow think Modelsim signal forcing interface and the do-file writing for such a forcing is a dumb and painful way of testing things.

regards, nachiket.

Reply to
Nachiket Kapre