system C - streams C

Hi Group, Lately there is a lot of talk about System C, is Xilinx or Altera planning to consider System C. I heard Forge tool from Xilinx is meant for Java programmers to do hardware designs, is xilinx/altera coming up with thier own tool set for doing design with C/C++. having said that I also want to know how complicated/easy it gets to design systems completely using C/C++ and letting the software takes care of diving the system into hardware modules and software programs. Streams C based product from Impulse Tech supports both Xilinx/altera soft processor cores,have anyone designed system with that.

I started working with Virtex2pro ( thats my introduction into the world of FPGAs and embedded systems ) for over a year and now cosidering to start exploring ways to configure FPGAs. Actually I am a student doing my master's so I would like to think about how the growth will be on designing systems with C/C++ - its obvious using high level languages makes life much easier but not sure abt the difficulties your suggestions, criticism are all welcome

Regards

Ram

Reply to
ram

The main problem with C is that it is an 'unconstrained type' language. Java is a better solution as I believe it locks types and forces type conversion. If you think it doesn't matter.. remember hardware executes in parallel... so try debugging it!

Simon

Reply to
Simon Peacock