Support software for XC3042

Hi All,

I was able to get a bunch of Xilinx XC3042 FPGAs from a dealer and am trying to find if there is any support software out there still for the chip. I looked at the current ISE offerings from Xilinx, but none state they support the XC3042. Does anyone know of anything for the XC3042?

Thanks, J Silverman

Reply to
J Silverman

Do yourself and everybody on this newsgoup a favor and get rid of these chips in an environmentally acceptable way. Then overcome your frugality and spend a few dollars on a modern chip evaluation board. Spartan3 or 3E comes to mind. You will get ever so much more enjoyment out of that choice. The XC3042 was introduced in 1988, 17 years ago. According to my 15:1 rule, that makes it the equivalent of a 255 year old senior citizen. Would you ask that tottering poor guy to do your work? The silicon would work perfectly, but is small and slow. The software is no longer supported and is slow and clumsy and only runs on archaic computers. Forget it.

Peter Alfke, Xilinx.

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Hi Peter,

I realized after doing some searching of these chips that they are ancient, but would be perfect for the project I'm building. I do not need anything more complicated than these. I'd really like to use them somehow instead of just throwing them away. Do you know of any other third party software that would support these chips? All I need is a way to create the configuration bitstream from some VHDL so I can program a flash chip with it.

Thanks, J Silverman

Reply to
J Silverman

Unless you have some sentimental attachment, there is no reason to even think of using such obsolete parts for a new project. Would you start a music library on 8-tracks? Would you go on vacation with a super-8 movie camera ? Would you buy a car with an SU carburator and drum brakes( except for reasons of nostalgia)? You are lacking not "just software": software is the most crucial ingredient. The smallest and cheapest Spartan3 chip runs circles around the 3042. If you need even less, use CoolRunner CPLDs, they are great and work with microamps... Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applictions from home

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Hi Peter,

The main reason why I want to use these FPGAs is because they're in a simple enough package (PLCC84) that I could breadboard them directly with an adapter. And I also do not need anything more complicated than them in the number of gates and such. The project I'm working on is an intermediate step, which will be replaced with much newer and more powerful parts when I'm able to. A way to be able to program these FPGAs somehow would be great for what I need.

Thanks, J Silverman

Reply to
J Silverman

I can only repeat: you will be much happier with a low-cost evaluation bord, where you can concentrate on the uniquness of your design, instead of being bogged down by software issues and soldering mishaps. For real simple circuits, look at CoolRunner CPLDs. Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

The tools that you are looking for never existed. The only thing that was available at the time were crude schematic entry tools which ran on DOS or maybe Windows 3.1, I don't remember which. I wrote my own synthesis tools in Gnu Lisp which converted ABEL (a now dead language for PALs) into XNF format (the old Xilinx Netlist Format), rather then use the schematic tools.

Take Peter's advice and get a modern development board.

Reply to
Josh Rosen

Peter is being diplomatic. He has to. (I liked the comment about SU carbs.)

If it's not supported in a recent web-pak, don't use it.

$.02

Reply to
ghelbig

I think XACT 5 was dos and 6 was windows. It was a cruel tool. Ran for days if you were lucky.

Wow. Sounds like XACT was at least good as a muse.

Yes J., either that, or take this break in the action to learn to code and sim your design in an HDL. That way you can check the form, fit and function with your next device before you buy it.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

First, take Peter's advise.

Second read this:

Third, take Peter's advise.

Cheers, Philip Freidin

Reply to
Philip Freidin

Check out Digilent's CPLD boards. Yes, they are some of the smaller versions, but they are still better than a 3042 - and you can use the webpack to program them. (they have a standard Parallel 3 style JTAG port)

Note, these boards are in a 40-pin DIP package - so you can breadboard them, and then socket them later in a PCB. At $18/each you almost can't go wrong.

I haven't used one myself, as I was able to snag a Spartan 3e sample pack - but the specs on these chips are not bad. I'm seriously toying with one since I need voltage translation anyway, and I could throw some logic in as a bonus

Reply to
radarman

Hi All,

Ok, you all kinda convinced me on this. After three days of searching for support software and not finding any, I started looking for another way of using a more modern FPGA. I was originally looking at the original Spartan (as they came in PLCC84 packaging) but cannot find any for sale in small quantities. So I started looking for ways on how to use a current FPGA in a breadboard, and I came across this site:

They have a bunch of boards that will take SMT components and give you the ability to stick them in a breadboard. I was looking at the Q100-80 one and am wondering if that will work for a Spartan3 in VQ100 packaging. I'm not sure if the difference between VTQFP and TQFP is great enough to cause problems when trying to solder it on the board.

Thanks, J Silverman

Reply to
J Silverman

support software and not finding any, I started looking for another way of using a more modern FPGA. I was originally looking at the original Spartan (as they came in PLCC84 packaging) but cannot find any for sale in small quantities. So I started looking for ways on how to use a current FPGA in a breadboard, and I came across this site:

ability to stick them in a breadboard. I was looking at the Q100-80 one and am wondering if that will work for a Spartan3 in VQ100 packaging. I'm not sure if the difference between VTQFP and TQFP is great enough to cause problems when trying to solder it on the board.

Or just plug a development board onto your prototype breadboard. Are you using wire-wrap?

Reply to
John_H

support software and not finding any, I started looking for another way of using a more modern FPGA. I was originally looking at the original Spartan (as they came in PLCC84 packaging) but cannot find any for sale in small quantities. So I started looking for ways on how to use a current FPGA in a breadboard, and I came across this site:

ability to stick them in a breadboard. I was looking at the Q100-80 one and am wondering if that will work for a Spartan3 in VQ100 packaging. I'm not sure if the difference between VTQFP and TQFP is great enough to cause problems when trying to solder it on the board.

You know, it's really a shame that there aren't more minimal "breadboard" adapters for FPGA's. The Xilinx sample pack was darn close, but had an odd shape, and not enough grounds. (that didn't stop me from mounting the peripheral connectors on the other side, and plugging it into a breadboard) Opal Kelly makes a decent "breadboard" style part, but it's $200 - does come with some nice software drivers, though. XESS also makes some breadboardable products as well.

The real problem is that you practically have to have a PCB with fairly controlled trace lengths and properties to get modern bits working. The days of wire-wrap are virtually over, except for low-speed and non-critical analog.

Keep in mind, even if you do manage to get a modern part on a breadboard or protoboard, you still have to power it. There are plenty of linear regulators to do the job, but virtually all of them are SMT (and flyspecks to top it off)

It is a shame, though. I have some of those older parts in my drawer, and I hate to throw them out as well - even though I know I'll never build anything with a Xilinx XC3042...

Reply to
radarman

Put them on ebay. Somebody might be able to use them for an existing product, provided they are still in the packaging.

Reply to
Ray Andraka