Stupid question

Is there any way of using the Xilinx toolchain on a Mac?

I have become spoiled by my Mac Mini, and unpacking my loud PC
just to run place-and-route seems inelegant.

Tom

Re: Stupid question
On 04 Apr 2005 19:48:58 +0100 (BST), Thomas Womack

give this a try
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx

Re: Stupid question
Ahh...Even if it runs, expect at least a 10 fold performance decrease on
PAR (assuming that you have already upgraded the mini mac's pathetic
256MB RAM). Sadly it is already slow enough. With the time that you
wasted waiting for PAR to finish, might as well spend some time
installing a water-cool x86 box. Better yet, running the tools on an
xbox (with linux) might even be faster (http://www.xbox-linux.org /)!

-jz

Re: Stupid question
Hi Jason,

Hmmm... A Celery 733 is not exactly the preferred CPU for
computing-intensive stuff like P&R. I can even imagine a G5 using VirtualPC
running faster than that.

Best regards,

Ben

Re: Stupid question

Try keeping your noisy PC elsewhere on a network and use Virtual Desktop
under Virtual PC (eek!!!)

-Jim

Re: Stupid question
Here is a solution for your noise,

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx15%1&code02%0

The cost could not be the issue if you start using Altera devices :-)

Re: Stupid question

that doesn't address the disk drive noise.  15000 rpm SCSI drives are
pretty noisy.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
Re: Stupid question

Do you need a 15k rpm drive for this sort of work?  If you're swapping
you need more RAM, surely?  The reading of files from the disk has not
been a bottleneck in my experience, although I'm not targetting the
very biggest devices out there...

My Barracuda is almost silent, even in standard mountings - its the
PSU fan that annoys me now!

Cheers,
Martin

--
snipped-for-privacy@trw.com
TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK

I did when I bought that system.  file I/O was a bottleneck at the time,
at least in simulation and PAR.  I haven't evaluated it recently, but
will be later this year when I upgrade systems once again.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
Re: Stupid question

This is probably both troll-bait and an FAQ, but what's the Altera
equivalent of something like the Xess $199 XC3S1000 or $349 Avnet
XC4VLX25?  (that is, a cheap board with a chip on it as large as
the free tools support, and some quick-win peripherals)

Counting LUTs, multipliers, memories and general performance claims,
the LX25 board is a remarkable capability for the price of three
weeks' rent.

Chip/Board cost/# LUTs/# flipflops/# multipliers
| # 512bit/# 4kbit/# 16kbit/# 512kbit

XC4VLX25 $349    21504    21504    48    | 0    0    72    0
XC3S1000 $199    15360    15360    24    | 0    0    24    0
EP1C12     $295    12060    12060    0    | 0    52    0    0
EP2S15        12480    12480    48    | 104    78    0    0
EP1S10     $395    10570    10570    24    | 94    60    0    1

Parallax do a $395 bare-bones board with an EP1S10, and there's the
Nios II Eval Board for $295 with Ethernet.  I suppose the Stratix 2
series is new enough that it's unfair to expect cheap hobbyist boards
already, but Google isn't giving me any useful hit on +EP2S15 +board.

Tom

Re: Stupid question

:-)

Funny how a $399 device ends up on a $349 board. (Source: Avnet's Part
Search) It might be better to look at device prices.

Karl.

Re: Stupid question
Part

Howdy Karl,

Funny how you tried to take a pot shot rather than actually answering
his question.  He seemed to be genuinely interested in finding a
comparable Altera based eval board.

As for that price: assuming for a second that the single piece price on
the website is even accurate, I am sure that Avnet doesn't just buy one
part at a time, from themselves no less, to build eval boards.  Even
the 100 piece price ($313) that they list contains a huge amount of
Avnet markup.  And that's even considering that ES (pre-production)
parts tend to cost more than production parts.

I'm sure it would be the same situation for Stratix II.

   Marc

Re: Stupid question

Take your PC, put Linux on it, install the Linux Xilinx tools, put it in
another room and then rlogin or ssh into it. The Mac will make a fine
X server. You can do all of your work from the Mac while the PC is safely
out of earshot.

Re: Stupid question

Not if you want to run the EDK. On a Mac X display, drop-down menus
appear at screen co-ords (0,0), and the 1st option is unselectable. Oh,
and the EDK misbehaves when you get to the 'add peripherals' stage - you
can never get past that screen.

Running using VNC from the linux box to the mac is better, but you still
get lag and sometimes strange behaviour.

I've just bought a DVI KVM, so I can run the EDK on my Linux box with
the output going to my gorgeous mac monitor - it's the only solution I
can find that has no problems :-(

Oh, and a bog-standard 64-bit AMD box (2GHz) runs about 3x the speed of
a dual 2GHz G5 box when running iverilog, so it'll be a *lot* faster
than on a G4 Mac Mini. I love the form-factor of the mini, but a
computing powerhouse it most certainly ain't. I'd say the AMD box would
be ~10x the speed of the mini...

Simon.

Site Timeline