Students: where to go for help

Students,

Please ask your professor to file a XUP webcase for you, if he/she agrees that yours is a problem that requires our help.

It is impossible for Xilinx to support all students directly, so our XUP program includes a means of support, through your professor.

As an ex-professor myself, I actually appreciated it when a student came to my office hours. It is a very boring time, when no one shows up, and yet you are well aware that everyone can't possibly be a genius!

So, do your prof a favor: pay them a visit, and maybe he or she will agree that the problem is one that they should send to our support group. The best case is that they solve your problem right there. The worst case is that the professor realizes that you are not stupid, and are willing to ask for help (a real asset when you then go to work somewhere -- employers don't really want to hire people who beat their heads against the walls, and stay "stuck").

Austin

Reply to
austin

I assume that you wrote this message partly in response to my recent "EDK 9.2 install problem", though I can't tell because you started a new thread rather than respond to mine.

In fact I wrote to comp.arch.fpga /after/ speaking to my supervisor about the problem - he agreed asking here would be a good idea. Not only do I know that Xilinx has a presence here, I could also see if this was a common problem among other Xilinx users. It seems that it is not a common problem, and is probably a defective install disk, so no need to open a WebCase anyway.

--
Philip Potter pgp  doc.ic.ac.uk
Reply to

Philip,

Yes, this was in part a reply to you, but I had marked the thread "ignore" as I had already made a note to contact the support group, and find out what we were doing.

C.A.F. is a good place to ask if others have the same problem: yes. And, unlike a webcase, Peter and I do read all of the postings (even if we do not choose to reply).

In the past, we did not have a specific link for questions that professors used, but as of last week, now we do. So, for your professor, it should be easier to enter a XUP webcase now.

The only rumor I have heard is that now that we have software releases on DVDs, they are more susceptible to scratching and damage if left without their covers, and may be ruined much more easily than a CD would be. So, if those DVDs were left out, and got tossed about, they may well be scratched, and won't work.

Austin

Reply to
austin

I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates this! You and Peter are a valuable presence here.

Thanks, I'll discuss it with him.

It was straight out of the box and into the computer, but it may have been damaged in transit.

--
Philip Potter pgp  doc.ic.ac.uk
Reply to
Philip Potter

Hi Philip,

Scratched DVDs are defenceless against fresh fruit.

HTH., Syms.

Reply to
Symon