Stratix to PC communication

Hi, I am an undergrad student attempting to build a software defined radio device on a Stratix EP1S80 DSP Development Board, and am hoping to do most of the signal processing on a PC. I therefore need to transfer data to the PC at a rate of about 1 MBps (twice the AM IF frequency of 455 kHz at 8 bit signal resolution) - is this possible? What is the best way of establishing communication between the PC and FPGA at such high speeds? Any suggestions are much appreciated, thank you.

Reply to
bartzenbeggar

They didn't give a lot of options on this board as far as I can see. The serial port driver is not rated up to the speed you need so is not likely to be of much use. You also don't appear to have Ethernet or USB which would be the obvious choices.

What you do have is parallel I/O which could be used to communicate with the board but will need some kind of supporting card, or interface, either to add a Ethernet/USB interface or simply to provide some kind of simplier interface that can transfer the data to the PC. Once inside the PC the 1MBit/s should not be a major issue.

If want some more direct assistance on an interface contact our University Access Program (UAP) team. Email and UAP details can be found on our webpage

John Adair Enterpo> Hi, I am an undergrad student attempting to build a software defined

Reply to
John Adair

Why do you want to do the signal processing on a PC? Maybe you need a digital filter and a demodulator, which should fit inside the FPGA. Then you can generate the audio signal with the D/A converter on your board. The

7 segment display can display the frequency, the pushbuttons can be used to implement a automatic scanning receiver etc. No need for a PC.
--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss