SPI slave problem

Hello Folks, I'm writting a slave SPI code for my FPGA and very sure that my master is generating the right SPI but somehow slave is unable to decode it. I've never used the verilog before so it might be possible that something is wrong with my code. Please advice. _________________________________________________________________________

module test_spi(led,MOSI,SS,SCK,clk);

output [7:0] led;

input MOSI, SS, SCK, clk;

wire MOSI; wire SS; wire SCK; wire clk;

reg num = 7; reg [7:0] temp = 0; reg SCK_LAST; reg SCK_NOW; reg [7:0] led;

always @(posedge clk)

begin if (!SS) begin SCK_LAST = SCK_NOW; SCK_NOW = SCK; if((SCK_LAST==0)&(SCK_NOW==1)) // check SCK is rising edge begin if (num < 8) // 8 bits counter begin if (!MOSI) begin temp = (temp

Reply to
mankin18

That's almost certainly wrong. I can't vouch for the rest.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

rest.

Thanks for prompt response! but can you elaborate a bit more?

Reply to
mankin18

I'm a VHDL guy, but I think it should be

reg [2:0] num;

Best regards,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Twijnstra

but I think it should be

ben! thanks for clue. Let me try and i'll get back to you as i'm also not a verilog guy;-)

mankin18

guy, but I think it should be

and i'll get back to you as i'm also

0ops! and no difference, any idea?
Reply to
mankin18

Ben Jackson schrieb:

Initial values are ignored during synthesis. -> Create a reset for it!

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Hildebrandt

guy, but I think it should be

try and i'll get back to you as i'm also

I haven't checked in detail but move "num = num - 1;" inside the check for SCK rising otherwise it gets decremented for every clockcycle not every SCK cycle.

easy spot if you run a simulation ;)

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ha scritto:

simply stated you should study Verilog more seriously. Especially topics like blocking and non-blocking assignments and how they are synthesized.

Reply to
tullio

Ralf Hildebrandt schrieb:

Is it true for Verilog? Because at least XST regards initial values in VHDL. I know some years ago, they had been ignored.

Bye Tom

Reply to
Thomas Reinemann

As a blanket statement, Ralf is incorrect in stating that "initial values are ignored during synthesis". First of all it depends on the target device: Does the target device have a defined state at power up (CPLD) or after configuration (FPGA). Many devices do have such a definition. The second consideration is the tool set used to synthesize the bitstream from the source code. Some tools might not support an initial value. It really does not depend on the language itself but the synthesis tool.

In any case, it's not hard to find a device and tool that will support initial values. Ralf's advice to use a reset though is well founded. Having something that depends solely on the power up reset state is 'usually' not sound design practice. Again though there are exceptions, the shift chain that one should use to generate a synchronous reset being a good example.

Kevin Jennings

Reply to
KJ

Check your email.

-- Per ardua ad nauseam

Reply to
tersono

Thank you for your kindly help...

I have tried your program on my board, however, I still can't get my desired result... I am now trying a new program on my board in a different way... to check whether the board can receive incoming signal correctly or not...

Reply to
mankin18

I have just succeed a little on the SPI between ATmega 128 and Xilinx Spartan-3E. The board now can displays my desired bit pattern.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

module test_spi(led,MOSI,SCK,SS,clk);

input MOSI,SCK,SS;clk;

output [7:0] led;

wire MOSI,SCK,SS,clk;

reg [3:0] num = 7; reg [7:0] temp = 0; reg [7:0] led = 0;

always @(posedge clk) //clk ---> the clock of FPGA begin end

always @(posedge SCK) //SCK ---> the input SCK from ATmega begin if (!SS) begin

if (num < 8) begin if (!MOSI) begin temp = (temp

Reply to
mankin18