Speed of remote JTAG with Quartus jtagd on linux

I am driving 'jtagd' on a Linux box remotely from a PC to access a ByteBlasterII cable. The client and server PCs are both plenty fast (the server was my desktop until recently and did the programming directly). The JTAG programming over the network via the remote cable works, but it's muuuch slower than the local access. Passive slave programming (of an FPGA) seems reasonably fast. Active serial programming of a flash part is slow, though. The only network between them is a

100Mbps switch. I don't see a cable speed option anywhere.

Is there anything I can do to speed this up? I'm going to look into running the programmer on the Linux side, but it would be nice to drive it all from Quartus on the PC.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Hi Ben,

The JTAG server implements the active serial protocol using a large number of small data transfers across the client/server interface, while JTAG and passive serial programming use a comparatively small number of large data transfers. So the speed of active serial programming mode is more sensitive to the network latency between the client and server than passive serial programming. If you can reduce the network latency between the client and server it will improve your active serial programming speed.

Hope this helps.

Vaughn Altera [v b e t z (at) altera.com]

Reply to
vaughnbetz