SpartanXL

I had a meeting with my local salesperson, rep and FAE and they got me to take another look at the SpartanXL for the 5 volt tolerant socket on my board. The part looks pretty good in most respects, but there are two flies in the ointment. One is the lack of support in the current tools. I know Xilinx still provides the "classic" tool set which should work ok, but I am not comfortable using a different tool and would have to buy a third party synthesis tool to support this.

The other problem is that I would have to use the XCS40XL-5CS280 to get the density in a small package. But they don't offer an industrial temp version in this package. Is there a thermal reason that this package won't support the industrial temp range, or is this just a matter of space on the shelf for yet another chip version? Any way to get around this issue? Is there a spread sheet for calculating the power consumption? I have a design that I can extract data from to drive a power consumption model if I can get a model.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Peter Alfke

Peter, thanks, but we have had this conversation several times. None of the Virtex or Spartan II devices can be used in this socket because of the high start up currents.

Right now the socket is slated to be filled by an Altera EP1K30 since it meets all the requirements. I was looking at the SpartanXL only because there would be some advantage to having all the PLDs on the board be from one vendor using one tool. But I don't see much advantage to using the SpXL if I have to use the "classic" tools and go with a large package.

Peter Alfke wrote:

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

rickman wrote: : Peter, thanks, but we have had this conversation several times. None of : the Virtex or Spartan II devices can be used in this socket because of : the high start up currents.

For Spartan II the specifications for the startup current for recent silicon has been revised some days ago. Do they still not meet your requirements.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes

rickman wrote: : Peter, thanks, but we have had this conversation several times. None of : the Virtex or Spartan II devices can be used in this socket because of : the high start up currents.

For Spartan II the specifications for the startup current for recent silicon has been revised some days ago. Do they still not meet your requirements?

Bye

Uwe Bonnes

Interesting. I see the Spartan IIE also had a tweak downwards, and gained on dV/dT caveats. MAX static currents are still not nice.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

No, the requirement only dropped from 2.0 Amps to 1.5 Amps at the industrial temp range. This would require the power converter to be larger than the chip! This section of the board is our "low power" section and the power converter will supply a *total* of 250 mA at 2.5 volts.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Jim,

Various changes went into the new mask for the 300mm fab, so we were able to reduce (by design) the start up peak by more than 60%. This also allows for relaxing the dV/dt. SInce we figured out what causes this in Virtex II, we have had no POS (power on surge) issues in subsequent families. Unfortunately it required a complete redesign which is not possible for the older parts.

Aust> Uwe B> >

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Did you see Austin Lesea's cunning trick of cycling the chip until it warms up and starts on lower power?

Reply to
Tim

Rick,

I understand. Industrial temp minimum current to power on cleanly is the toughest part of the specification, even with the mask changes that were made to improve things.

The app note on the "kick start" circuit is the only other alternative we can offer. Storing up the charge required to supply the 1.5A does however require a fairly large capacitor, and it gets even larger and tougher at -40C where almost all caps are -30% to -80% less C (as the electrolyte freezes).

Austin

Reply to
Austin Lesea

I am selling boards to OEM customers. Do you really think it will look good to recommend that they continue to cycle the FPGA until it warms up? That could easily take seconds when the board should be ready to come up in milliseconds. If the user is running on battery and needs to process for a few ms, this will drain the battery very quickly.

Xilinx has a pattern of building problems into their chips which they claim is the inevitable price of progress and expecting the users to deal with them. In this case it turned out that it was not inevitable since they fixed the problem with later, more advanced families.

Another issue that is being touted as "inevitable" is the increase in static Icc to becoming greater than the dynamic current. But I can assure you that this will be licked. Advances in transistor design are being made that will allow 65 nm chips to maintain an acceptable level of static Icc. If you don't believe me ask Intel about double and triple gates.

Thanks for the warm up idea, but it is not workable in this situation.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Rick,

Hey, we admit the high POS current in Virtex, Virtex E, Spartan II, and Sparatan IIE, and we are proud that we got rid of it in subsequent families. It is not "inevitable."

If you want to have a 200 MHz Fmax part instead of a 500 MHz Fmax part, we can make the leakage much, much lower. No one seems to want a slower part, even though it may costs a whole lot less.

As for transistor design techniques that reduce leakage, no one has found one that works yet.

Hi_K gate oxide does not reduce d-s leakage, SOI does not reduce d-s leakage, so about the only thing to do is to raise the Vt (relative to the Vcc), which makes things slower. Anyone can do that.

Aust> Tim wrote:

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Wow - Who have you asked ?

In the CPLD sector, the 'bragging rights slugfests' are over uA standby, not MHz. ( see lattice web site - I did note they pitch uA only, and avoid uA/MHz, so perhaps they come (close) second on that one :)

A sweeping, and thus rather brave, statement ?

I assume Xilinx is already using mixed threshold design, at least ?

Look at the latest Transmeta processor. Extremely MHz focused company, but they can get to 2mW I think ? Press release mentions something about licensing the IP...

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Jim,

The easy ways are all taken. To use more than one oxide or more than one threshold vt is just using last years technology where you can squeeze it in. There are no new physical transistors that have been made that look like anything other than PhD projects....

I don't speak CPLDs, so uA is something I have no understanding of.....

as for the "Ef-fishy-on" they are using a back well bias technique (already patented by us and also separately by IBM, among others) that makes things slower where one can get away with it (under programmable cell controls).

If you use a standard CMOS process, you are only able to bias up the nmos, or the pmos wells, (not both), so unless you have a triple well process you can't really push this technique as far as one would like.

Making the FPGA slower where you can get away with it is a far more difficult task than a uP. I can just see the software tool error message now: "unknown constraint

- can not apply 'slow' attribute to this block"

Not brave, but not stupid either,

Austin

Jim Granville wrote:

can

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Before I close the door on this, I want to take one last look at using the SpartanXL for this socket. Right now there are several reasons not to use the part, but only one is a show stopper. That is the lack of an industrial temp part in the CS280 package. Looking at other lines, I see that there is nothing inherent about the package that precludes this.

So what would it take for me to use a commercial temp part, say the XCS40XL-5CS280C and use it over an industrial temp range? If I scaled my timing requirements by say, 33%, would that give me enough margin over the industrial temp range?

Of course the other issues are not trivial. List price is way up there, the lack of support in the ISE tools will require me to buy a $5000 synthesis tool, and I am still a little leary of designing in such an old part to a product line that may have a lifetime of 8 years.

I recall working with one of these parts some 6 or 7 years ago. The toolset from Xilinx included synthesis, IIRC. Is that package no longer available?

I see in the archives here that the quiescent current for the SpartanXL is very low, much lower than the data sheet number. But I can't find a clear statement about the startup current. The data sheet says 100 mA (which should not be a problem) but I wanted to know if this is much lower in current chips.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

I rummaged around and found the old distribution of Foundation 1.5i that I had used to design with a 4000XL back in 1998 using VHDL. Will this package support the SpartanXL? I see that the version currently provided by Xilinx is ISE 4.2i. When was this package orginally released?

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed.

Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL

4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Reply to
rickman

Rick,

The startup current is very small, probably less than 20 mA. The 50 mA number was a good number over PVT.

As for speed at temp, the part is probably the last one to have a classic design of CLBs and interconnect (No DLL, No other "fancy features") so some of the old "rules of thumb" for CMOS logic performance vs. temperature still apply to it. Maybe Peter can help us here with some rule of thumb numbers for plain 'ole CMOS logic.

If you open a case on the hotline with your specifc tool and support question, you will get an answer quickly.

Aust> Before I close the door on this, I want to take one last look at using

Reply to
Austin Lesea

The traditional view was that delays increase at a rate of 0.25% per degree C. With Industrial being nominally 15 degr hotter than Comm, this would mean a 4% loss in speed at the hot end. We gave the ususal warnings: "Not guaranteed since not tested," but I never heard any complaints. I have never heard about a Comm part failing functionally at Ind temperature. But the speed loss is real.

If your part is runn>

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Atmel, in their CPLD data state this :

# Using ?C? Product for Industrial #To use commercial product for industrial temperature ranges, #down-grade one speed grade from the ?I? to the ?C? device #(7 ns ?C? = 10 ns ?I?) and de-rate power by 30%.

Power here means thermal margin, due to higher Ta. So long as the self-heating is not significant, you will be well under Tj limits. I don't think you are pushing the MHz :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

-- Marc Baker Xilinx Applications (408) 879-5375

Reply to
Marc Baker