SpartanII + ARM7 Question

Hello,

I am doing a project to build a system to receive GPS signals.

I selected a Baseband Processor Zarlink GP4020 which has a ARM7TDMI core embened inside it.

Now I want to add a FPGA(SpartanII XC2S200) to assist it in some arithmatic computation. And I want to use a Dual Port SRAM to store the temporary data and make the main processor and the FPGA communicate with each other.

My question is : In what way can this two chip synchronize the process with each other? (maybe about timing and signal exchange)

Thank you

Regards Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Gao

Hi Patrick,

since you use an FPGA you have plenty of opportunities for data exchange. What kind of data and control flow would you like to implement in your system. Can you give us a short more descriptive example?

Best Regards Markus

Reply to
Markus Meng

Hello,

I am doing a project to build a system to receive GPS signals.

I selected a Baseband Processor Zarlink GP4020 which has a ARM7TDMI core embened inside it.

Now I want to add a FPGA(SpartanII XC2S200) to assist it in some arithmatic computation. And I want to use a Dual Port SRAM to store the temporary data and make the main processor and the FPGA communicate with each other.

My question is : In what way can this two chip synchronize the process with each other? (maybe about timing and signal exchange)

Thank you

Regards Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Gao

Hi Patrick,

I did take a quick look on the datasheet of the GP4020. It has a Module named "MPC". Through this interface you connect memory peripherals. Use this interface to connect your FPGA as a 'Coprocessor' to your system. Just Address & Data & Control to build a simple Slave interface in the FPGA.

Just take a piece of paper and make a block diagram. It should not be to difficult to name the signals needed. For data exchange. Do you need interrupts as well?

Another issue is FPGA configuration. Don't forget it ...

You can use Flags or interrupts if available on the GP4020. I do not get the point of your question. In the Spartan-II you may make the option of the true dual ported nature of the memory blocks for data exchange from different clock domains ...

Markus

Reply to
Markus Meng