Spartan3e and ChipScope

Hi

I am having extreme trouble with ChipScope and Spartan3e (using the Spartan3E Sample Pack PCB from digilent).

ISE 7.1 sample top, CS coregen, ICON+VIO wired up build, then:

1 First I tried CS 7.1SP2, no cores found... 2 tested with CS analyzer 7.1SP4, no cores found... 3 then regenerated the ICON+VIO with 7.1SP4, cores found, I am happy. 4 then ISE clean, rebuild, no cores found... 5 regenereting the ICON+VIO with CS 8.1 no cores found... 6 updating the project to ISE 8.1, cores found, I am happy 7 ISE clean, rebuild, no cores found.. 8 what should I do next?

I am running my 3rd Day of struggle, and all I wanted todo was to programm the Intel Flash on the board, the board can be seen there

any ideas?

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

How much was the S3E board?

Leon

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Hi Leon,

please contact your local Xilinx FAE ASAP, there might be a surprise for you :)

Antti

PS I contacted nuhorizon regarding the S3e Sample Pack (as they are the only entity who has published any info about the board at the moment) but they did not even care to respond to the email at all, so I guess contacting nu makes no sense, but maybe I am on their blacklist as I have never ever purchased anything from them or even considered that. So others may be more lucky with nu. Anyway I would suggest contacting the Xilinx FAE and not any disti regarding the board.

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Unlucky for those of us not in Europe , US or Japan then. Same as with

See bottom of that page.

ADDS-BFFPGA-EZEXT is a nice addon to the Analog Blackfin Ezkits (S31000 not S3e) if you were lucky enough to pick up the Ezkit at US$99 when they first came out a year or so back(now US$450)

Blackfin stamps are currently cheapest dsp boards around (digikey)

Similar but lot priceier (for TI DM642 EVM dsp board) uses a SX4

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

"Leon" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

things are moving on, I wasnt sure if it was ok to say that the board is FREE, but as Avnet has said that in public so its public info now. The boards are ready for customers, just need to contact whoever is responsible for you as FAE/Disti.

Antti

reviews of 2 different Spartan3e based boards (the sample pack review will be heavily updated over this weekend)
standalone programming and test utility for the s3e sample pack internal beta test at the moment, will be available shortly

Reply to
Antti Lukats

I never instantiate ChipScope in the design. I always use the ChipScope Core Inserter. Making changes to what you wish to probe is a lot easier this way.

I've noticed that, at least with Spartan 2E, you can't configure the chip from within ChipScope. It always fails. I use Impact to program the configuration EEPROM, then power-cycle the board, then reconnect ChipScope.

When ChipScope works, it's the shit. When it doesn't, lots of cursing ensues ...

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

shit when works and cursing when not? That was a typo I guess :)

well you can not use core inserter for the VIO, so thats no option.

I dont know why you can not configure with chipscope, the way you do it is very troublesome. be aware that chipscope does not auto fix the startup clock so if the clock wasnt set to JTAG in the bitgen option then chipscope want of course configure.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

^^^^^^^

Not a typo. That is slang for very good.

Reply to
John McCaskill

I got one of the Blackfin EZ-kits when they were on special offer, and one of the Stamp kits. Haven't used them much, though.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Have both boards myself. Using them a bit lately.

Working on C6400/DM642 based video systems lately. Find the blackfin boards easier and faster to get things up and running on.

The latest book Embedded Media Processing from David Katz and Rick Gentile is quite good but should have gone the next step and given at least a few complete code examples instead of a few snippets.

Leaves the book feeling incomplete - difference between a good book and a great book. Useful book with its practical tips.

Companian cd only has visualdsp++ and no code examples neither does the books website

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

I suggest that we avoid ambiguous slang exressions in this international newsgroup. Too much danger of miscommunication. Merry Christmas to all. Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

"Peter Alfke" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Hi Peter,

right, using shit as s(uper)hit slang can confuse lots of non-english native readers.

Merry Christmas !

Antti

[shit] I am afraid I have to stop playing with spartan3e for tonight!
Reply to
Antti Lukats

just to check if it the issue of coregenerator vs core inserter I tested the core inserted flow too same bad luck no cores found

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

"Antti Lukats" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:dogidn$96c$02$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com...

commenting myself - the all story was an power surge damaged FPGA nothing wrong with ChipScope

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats