spartan3 pin tables

Hi folks,

Does anybody know if there are machine readable versions of the Spartan3 pin tables, like those that exist for V2 and V2pro?

e.g.

I've tried extrapolating the naming scheme to make a guess at the url, but no luck.

For Xilinx, a quick gripe: I spend a lot of time at the xilinx website, accessing it on an almost daily basis, and am a professional researcher. Yet still, I am often unable to navigate to information that I *know* is present. For example, I ended up finding these V2/V2Pro pin tables by digging out an old one I'd saved to my hard drive, and doing a google search on the file name.

Anyway, enough whinging - how about those S3 pin tables?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Williams

I feel your pain. Many companies turn data sheet location into an easter egg hunt. Xilinx is far better than many and worse than some.

I just downloaded the pin lists today. I think I had used a search on the Xilinx web page for datasheets on "Spartan 3". It gave me a list of the four data sheet parts, the complete data sheet (thanks Xilinx) and both ascii and excel pinouts. Here is the URL that showed up, I just happen to still have the page open...

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Thanks Rick. For some bizarre reason these pin tables are in a different format to those provided for V2 and V2Pro! But anyway, I'll massage them as necessary.

Actually what I'm trying to do is assess how to wire a board that might potentially contain any of the fg-456 parts. There are 3 each of spartan3, virtex2 and v2pro devices using the fg456 package.

What I'm trying to achieve is a table that looks like:

pin 2v250 2v500 2v1000 2vp2 2vp4 2vp7 3s1000 .... A1 GND GND GND ... A2 ...

and so on, so I can look across and determine all common pins between parts, and all non-common pins, and go from there.

Kind of like generalising Xilinx's pin compatability tool across the v2, v2pro and s3 families..

thanks again,

John

Reply to
John Williams

The Spartan-3 pinout tables are described in the Spartan-3 data sheet, which also provides a direct link to a ZIP file containing all the ASCII text tables.

The Spartan-3 applications team slightly modified the text format to make it easier to parse with a simple script. Likewise, you can open the files directly into Excel for easy sorting and massaging. All the tables are comma-delimited entries and includes additional information that makes it easier to create sorted lists. All pins are typed according to the descriptions in the data sheet. Likewise, all BGA pins include both the row and column values for each pin. That way, you can create sorted lists where ball "AK1" precedes ball "AK2". Otherwise, sorting the pins alphabetically has ball "AK1" preceding ball "AK10". See the "readme.txt" file in the ZIP file for a complete description.

Similarly, the ZIP file contains footprint diagrams in Microsoft Excel format.

Now, here are the direct links.

Spartan-3 Data Sheet: Pinout Information

Spartan-3 Pinout Tables

We welcome any and all feedback to make these text files more useful.

BTW, personal opinion, I agree that documents are sometimes difficult to find on the Xilinx web site. We're working with the Xilinx web team to improve things.

--------------------------------- Steven K. Knapp Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc. Spartan-3/II/IIE FPGAs

--------------------------------- Spartan-3: Make it Your ASIC

Reply to
Steven K. Knapp

The individual .csv files in the zip file

have *different* formats (numbers of columns, etc.). That means a parser must cope with a number of special cases, as well as handling the completely different format used for Virtex (etc.) parts.

Is it possible to make all the formats the same? (This is a rhetorical question and doesn't require an answer.)

Allan. [Currently modifying scripts to cope with the new "easier to parse" file formats. The new parser is much larger than the old one.]

Reply to
Allan Herriman

Ideally there's be a text file for each device, for each package, with 6 columns:

row, col, pin, name, bank, type ... ... ...

Using commas or tabs or whatever as the field seperator doesn't matter too much, most data import utilities can deal with it. As much as it pains me, I'm using MS excel to do this, just import the raw data into sheets, then create secondary sheets that use the vlookup() function to pull out the data I need. Not ideal, but it works.

Back to the purpose of my original message, it seems that I was naively optimistic that there would be any footprint compatability across families, within the same package type. V2 and V2Pro have a few common pins (or pin classes), such as the power and GND, but most of the rest are different. Spartan3 is even more different again. Within families it's fine - that's obviously the "upgrade path" that Xilinx have designed for.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Williams