Spartan2E + PCI

Ed Diego wrote: : Hello,

: I need to design a PCI board. I was thinking about using a Spartan2E to do : all the hard work. Would the I/O pins of the Sparan2E be able to connect : straight to a PCI bus? No, if you still need to cope with 5V signalling : I'm thinking in terms of voltage levels. Also, : before the board is made I was planning on making a prototype using wire : wrap board. Is PCI or the Spartan2E particularly susceptible to noise : problems? It's susceptible.

Think about getting a prototyping card, e.g. the Memec card with the xc2s200

Bye

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

If you read the PCI spec you will find that there are limits to the length of the wires between the PCI connector and the part which drives the IO. I expect that using a wire wrap socket will make it hard to meet that spec.

If your PCI bus is the 5 volt version, the Spartan IIE is not spec'd to drive that standard. PCI has specific requirements on the IOs which a chip must be rated to drive.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Hello,

I need to design a PCI board. I was thinking about using a Spartan2E to do all the hard work. Would the I/O pins of the Sparan2E be able to connect straight to a PCI bus? I'm thinking in terms of voltage levels. Also, before the board is made I was planning on making a prototype using wire wrap board. Is PCI or the Spartan2E particularly susceptible to noise problems?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Ed Diego