Spartan2E + PCI

Hello,

I need to design a PCI board.  I was thinking about using a Spartan2E to do
all the hard work.  Would the I/O pins of the Sparan2E be able to connect
straight to a PCI bus?  I'm thinking in terms of voltage levels.  Also,
before the board is made I was planning on making a prototype using wire
wrap board.  Is PCI or the Spartan2E particularly susceptible to noise
problems?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Spartan2E + PCI
: Hello,

: I need to design a PCI board.  I was thinking about using a Spartan2E to do
: all the hard work.  Would the I/O pins of the Sparan2E be able to connect
: straight to a PCI bus?
No, if you still need to cope with 5V signalling
: I'm thinking in terms of voltage levels.  Also,
: before the board is made I was planning on making a prototype using wire
: wrap board.  Is PCI or the Spartan2E particularly susceptible to noise
: problems?
It's susceptible.

Think about getting a prototyping card, e.g. the Memec card with the xc2s200

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes                 snipped-for-privacy@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt
Re: Spartan2E + PCI

If you read the PCI spec you will find that there are limits to the
length of the wires between the PCI connector and the part which drives
the IO.  I expect that using a wire wrap socket will make it hard to
meet that spec.

If your PCI bus is the 5 volt version, the Spartan IIE is not spec'd to
drive that standard.  PCI has specific requirements on the IOs which a
chip must be rated to drive.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com