Spartan 3E Starter Kit is finally here!

I was finally able to order a Spartan 3E Starter Kit from Avnet late last week. (Before that the Xilinx site said that it was orderable from Avnet, but the Avnet site said that it was not.) It arrived today, and the preprogrammed demo works fine. I haven't yet loaded any of the other demos, or tried to program any of my own designs.

The kit does noot come with a printed copy of its user's guide, but that's not a problem since the PDF is available for download from the Xilinx site, as are the schematic and gerber files: ttp://

A DVD of Webpack (and demo of ISE) is included, as well as a demo of the EDK.

The kit comes with book "Introduction to Programmable Logic" of about

200 pages, which in not specific to the kit but appears to be a good general introduction to Xilinx CPLDs and FPGAs, and the tool chain.

Nine demo designs with doucmentation are also available for download:

I'm thinking about having some prototyping boards made with a connector to mate with the 100-pin Hirose expansion connector on the Starter Kit board. I'll include a 3.3V regulator on my board. Aside from a 0.1 inch hole grid, would anyone have any specific requests for reasonably general-purpose things to add? Most of the common I/O that I want is already on the Starter Kit board, so I mostly intend to use the prototyping boards for very application-specific things.

It appears that the mating connector would be the Hirose FX2-100S-1.27DS, but I haven't confirmed this. If so, it's available from Digikey for $7.07 quantity one.

I think I might add two 270-ohm resistors to the starter kit, between two FPGA pins and the "reserved" pins 2 and 6 of the PS/2 connector. This would allow using both a mouse and keybaord at the same time, with a common laptop "PS/2 splitter cable". I haven't yet chosen which FPGA pins to use.

I hope that Digilent will offer a version of this board with an XC3S1600E chip in the near future. :-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

ttp://

[ ... snip ...]

I'm happy ot hear that these boards are finally make their way through the pipeline!

I just wanted to provide a few updated links. The links that you mentioned work, but these are a little more direct.

Spartan-3E Starter Kit Board Landing Page

User Guide (it's 11 MB because it contains annotated board schematic drawings)

Spartan-3E Reference Designs

There are more reference designs on the way. Stay tuned.

--------------------------------- Steven K. Knapp Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc. General Products Division Spartan-3/-3E FPGAs

--------------------------------- The Spartan(tm)-3 Generation: The World's Lowest-Cost FPGAs.

Reply to
Steve Knapp (Xilinx Spartan-3 Generation FPGAs)

A wire-wrap section would be nice, as would some standard header strips. About the only other thing I can think of readily would be some pads for installing a standard AC97 audio codec and amplifier. Oh, a buddy of mine has been lamenting the fact that EVERY board he has looked at only has 1 PS/2 connector - which means at least one peripheral must be USB - or you strap another PS/2 connector somewhere on the board. Might be handy to have an extra.

I sent an email to Digilent a month ago when the board finally started showing up in the Avnet store asking that very question. Apparently, the boards with the 1200E/1600E option won't be exactly the same as the starter kit - but they should be available by June. I hope by "different" they didn't mean less RAM or FLASH, though.

I have the Altera DE2, which has a EP2C35. Looking at the datasheet, the 2C35 appears to be roughly to the Xilinx XS31200E. Unfortunately, the board only has 8MB of SDR SDRAM and 512KB of SRAM. It does have a

4MB Flash at least. I may "upgrade" (sidegrade?) to the Digilent board if the price difference isn't too great.
Reply to
radarman

This looks correct - of course there are a lot of options for cables/connectors - you can also check out hirose's site at

(type FX2 in the search).

A wire-wrap daughter board (to plug in to the 100 pin connector), and a codec daughter board (perhaps to plug in to one of the 6-pin connectors) are both really good suggestions for Digilent - you might shoot them an email. If there was reasonable interest in these, they might seriously consider adding both of these to their daughter and peripheral board offerings. The pin out to both of these connectors are standardized between the Spartan-3E Starter Kit, and other Digilent boards, so those new daughter boards would be compatible with many other Digilent development boards. Speaking of this, check out their VDEC1 board - it's a $69 video decoder board that will plug in to the the S3E Starter Kit's 100-pin connector...

-Scott S.

Reply to
Scott Schlachter

I just got my starter kit delivered as well. Whew. A day before the Avnet Speedway seminar in town, too.

Reply to
John_H