spartan-3e starter kit

I have been waiting to get the spartan 3e starter kit from xilinx for awhile now, but it doesn't seem to be out yet. Does anyone know if they are still look at releasing it this month as they mention on their website?

Reply to
Tom Dahlen

They are shipping as we speak. There was a huge demand for it.

Reply to
elf_ster

The Xilinx Online Store *STILL* says "Notify me when available", and I requested that notification many months ago. Since they haven't been taking orders for them, to whom are they shipping them?

Reply to
Eric Smith

Huh? Who? What? Uh... Where from?

I've been looking at the Xilinx Online Store and the digilentinc site and have seen nothing. The only order entry I've seen was from distribution and I didn't trust it to do any better than the first two sources. I'm talking 3e starter kit, not the sample pack.

Reply to
John_H

I spoke with Avnet yesterday, and they told me they were getting a shipment of the starter kits in on march 9th.

- Tom

John_H wrote:

Reply to
Tom Dahlen

That sounds like possible date. Yesterday I did see one Spartan3e starterkit board at Silica's boot at Embedded in Nurnberg. They only have that one board so will be shipping as soon as they get the boards.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Just found this:

Henk

Reply to
henk

How does USB programming work in that device? I don't find anything (on first and second glance) about that in the schematic.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

It is just an integrated USB config option. See page 28. Henk

henk

It could be nice to use it on own designs. A schematic would show what's needed...

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

the schematic of that part is removed from the schematic printouts, its a duplicate of platform usb cable - as the platform cable pld on starterkit board is in non-BGA package it should be fairly simply to pull up the pins that go to on board jtag and use the starterkit as normal platform usb cable :)

Antti

Reply to
Antti

However to my knowledge, the "platform usb cable" is considered as their IP by XILINX and no documents to build your own cable are available...

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

gosh! just take a buzzer enabled multimeter and sit down for one evning, there are some wires between the cypressFX2 and coolrunner, that is it basically. the usb cable does not contain any preprogrammed firmware (except usb vid/pid,,) so you just duplicate it, then force impact to perform PLD update and ready you are !

sure xilinx doesnt document how to do this, but it really isnt that complicated.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

I'd be glad if you share your experience ;-)