Spartan-3E + SPI EEPROM

Would this eeprom work as a configuration boot eeprom for Xilinx XC3S500E ..?

sky465nm

generic answer: RTFM

25xxx chips are what is normally described "standard SPI", and have 0x03 READ command, so i would say its ok. But to be sure please verify that it is OK, dont take my word (or anyone elses)

Antti

Reply to
Antti

When designing for Spartan-3E I stumbled on a post regarding Sp3E+SPI+SDcard and it got my thinking due that the the XCFxxS chips is harder to source than any "standard spi" eeprom. The price seems to be lower, and the wiring mess less. The only catch is the lack of Jtag port then.

However I was abit unsure as to what the Spartan-3E required for an spi eeprom. At the distributor there are several "3-wire serial eeprom" chips. So the confusion was to make the correct match.

Reply to
sky465nm

..?

Lack of JTAG is made up for by the programming software. It bit- wiggles the FPGA pins to program the SPI PROM indirectly.

It's important to make sure the PROM supports the commands used by the FPGA. I ran into a problem with a smaller SPI PROM that didn't support a fast-mode read, usd by the Lattice ispVM software for verification. It worked OK for the FPGA's self-programming, however. Eventually the ispVM software was updated to work with the part.

HTH, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor

..?

eeprom.

well, I think the OP meant that cant use JTAG to program the SPI flash at the moment this needs either custom application (what I use myself) or ISE 10.1 should support SPI indirect for S3E

Antti

Reply to
Antti

XC3S500E ..?

Sp3E+SPI+SDcard

than

eeprom.

I wasn't aware of this. I currently only use SPI parts with Lattice. Their ispVM software handles it OK.

Regards, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor

Exactly, but I don't think it will be a big problem. However such nity-grity details like the "fast-mode read" that gabor mentioned. Are issues that may ruin a project if such command is required by the FPGA.

Any PC-side software is easily modified or created. Maybe the standard xilinx-jtag-parallell cable can be modified for this purpose. Or if the DIN + CSO_B + MOSI + CCLK signals might be reused as i/o post configuration to be used as a builtin flash programmer (most likely to work).

Reply to
sky465nm