Spartan 3E slower that Spartan 3?

Hello guys, I just made a quick speed test in ISE 7.1 with a Spartan 3E device. A

32-bit counter runs at 129 MHz in XC3S500E-4, but in a Spartan 3 XC3S400-4 at a higher 168 MHz. Also checked a few other desings, like DDR SDRAM controller, and they all run about 20% slower on Spartan 3Es. I don't get it, isn't 3E series supposed to have the same core as the Spartan 3?

Best Regards George

Reply to
George Mercury

Odd,

This seems to have originated from an invalid IP address .... ?

Austin

Reply to
austin

Odd,

This seems to have originated from an invalid IP address .... ?

Austin

Reply to
austin

What's your definition of "invalid" ? As far as I can tell he is posting over an ISP in Austria (Vienna maybe?) using a dsl connection. Don't look for conspiracies every time your nslookup fails to work.

connection.

And even if IP address was invalid, the concerns seem to be perfectly valid.

Just compare the speedprint output of the 3s400 to the 3s500e. Randomly sampling across different area shows that most numbers do appear to be higher, including parts of the carry chain, which appear to be more than 50% slower.

A simple answer that the timing values are pre-production and are possibly overly concervative would have been a perfectly acceptable answer.

Regards,

Marc

Reply to
Marc Randolph

Well,

Since I don't know anything about 3E (I'm in APD, not GPD), I'll leave them to comment on the speeds files.

But, I have been burned before by folks who are not who they seem, and as posting anonomously is everyone's right, but I don't have to look on an anonomous posting as being from a legitimate source. And I don't have to reply to it either.

Austin

Reply to
austin

Hi austin,

The 193.xxx.xxx.xxx range is assigned to RIPE NCC. Why would it be invalid?

Best regards,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Twijnstra

That's true... you don't have to reply to it. So why did you?

Dave

Reply to
starfire

I know that Austin's Sunday-morning concern is valid, and it stems from previous incidents, where unfriendly people, (sometimes referred to as Competitors) have started anonymous mudslinging campaigns. It's so easy to do, and hard to spot. None of us says that this is the case with George Mercury (at least he posts a reasonable name), but anonymity is known to be an invitation to mischief. That's all. Peter Alfke PS: Austin and I always give our company affiliation. But sometimes we are too lazy to type, or we want to demonstrate that this is personal opnion, like this one. But nobody will ever accuse us of hiding...

Reply to
Peter Alfke

[...]

Are we saying this posting comes from an anti Xilinx source, because he/she chooses to reduce hacking, spam etc

Reply to
dave

I usually just have a look at previous posts if I don't recognize a name to see where they are coming from (rather than posting from).

on Mar 11, 2:00 pm by George Mercury -another post on Compact Flash seems to be in line, unless he's a really dubious type laying out cover story then following with a dagger, nah.

I also thought gmail was only beta so is not generally available to new users right now.

regards

I also use a dead yahoo account but doesn't seem to matter

Reply to
JJ

Peter,Austin,

What does it matter if the OP is a shill or a legitimate poster? It's a simple question, is the 3E slower than the 3 or not? It's faster, slower, not fully characterized yet, are all legitimate answers. Even if the OP is attempting to slander the part all you have to do to dispel is claim is to post an answer.

Reply to
B. Joshua Rosen

To put it bluntly: Some Altera employees have in the past used this newsgroup for anonymous deceptive marketing inuendos (no, no, neither Mr Greenfield nor Paul Leventis would of course ever stoop so low. With them we can have an open and fruitful exchange). I heard that their management has ordered to stop that kind of nonsense. But it pays to be on the alert... It's just too easy to start a rumor which then "blossoms" into a

50-post thread. Peter Alfke
Reply to
Peter Alfke

[...]

Ben,

I learn something new everyday.

It turns out it is a DSL line (valid). OK. So now I fall back on my previous comment that I already made: I don't know.

Is 3E faster or slower than 3?

Just don't know.

Will have to wait til tomorrow for the GPD person to post, as I am presuming he is not watching today.

If folks are looking for blazing speed, then I suggest they look at Virtex 4. The Spartan team is all about value (lowest cost). If you have already targeted a Spartan 3, and are moving to 3E because of the IO vs CLB cost benefits, then I am sure the FAE's and tools are there to support you.

Austin

Reply to
austin