Spartan-3AN

finally announced!

so now can talk about them - well still not documents on Xilinx
website, but hopefully they will be available shortly

Antti

Re: Spartan-3AN

xilinx - whats up? I clicked the spartan-3AN link from inside the html
email sent to my email.
in response a website opened, says redirecting to xilinx website,
and... a continous clicking sound
from speaker... and ... at the same time google groups refused to
work, saying that my computer
or network is sending requests to them. I will re-run additional virus
scans (I have anti-virus software
installed and active).

still, why does Xilinx send email with link to Spartan-3AN when does
links do not work
why are there no links to Spartan-3AN from xilinx website??

is the webmaster really again on vaccation !!??

hope the S-3AN info appears soon on Xilinx website.

Re: Spartan-3AN

http://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon_solutions/fpgas/spartan_series/spartan3an_fpgas/index.htm

This is the link that makes the clicking sound when opened in
webbrowser.

Re: Spartan-3AN
http://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon_solutions/fpgas/spartan_series/spartan3an_fpgas/index.htm

Hi Antti,
Yes, seems quite broken.   Someone in Xilinx did _test_ this, right ?

Lets hope that their design and verify flows for their silicon are of
a considerably higher
standard than their Web pages ?!

Whilst we are waiting for Xilinx to get their act together, perhaps
you could give your thoughts
on what's new in the 3AN series, appart from just dropping some flash
into the package ?

-jg

Re: Spartan-3AN
Cat out of the bag?

Well, sure looks like the website folks are going to have some
embarrassment from this.

Yes, that link is certainly broken.

As for 3AN, I have to wait until the release to talk about it, unless
you were already one of the "early adopters" and are under NDA.  In that
case, you already know everything.

Austin

Re: Spartan-3AN

!?

email from Xilinx:
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%
The new SpartanE2%84A2%-3AN FPGA platform signifies a breakthrough marriage
of uncompromised SRAM FPGA and leading-edge Flash technologies. With
highly advanced on-chip security features, the Spartan-3AN platform
provides a cost-effective solution to help prevent reverse-
engineering, cloning, and unauthorized overbuilding. Furthermore,
designers can achieve superior system flexibility with up to 11Mb of
integrated user Flash. Built on industryE2%8099%s most successful cost-
effective and production-proven 90nm technology, the Spartan-3AN
platform provides unmatched performance, integration and cost. It is
ideal for space-critical or secure applications as well as low cost
embedded controllers.

Register Now! E2%8094% for  Webcast

By attending the Introducing Spartan-3AN FPGAs E2%8093% Non-volatile Secure
Platform for Highest System Integration Webcast you will learn how to:

Implement a low-cost security solution
Lower system cost
Achieve higher system flexibility
Improve design margins
Reduce power consumption
Accelerate your time to market
Spartan-3AN FPGA Advantages

3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%

I assume this means S-3AN ___ARE__ officially launched or whatelse
should I understand from the above mailing?

was the email sent too early as accident? I assume not.

Antti

Re: Spartan-3AN
Antti,

Too early?  Accident?  Just don't know (yet).

Obviously the email has detailed many of the features.

But, so far, I have heard nothing from my inquiries here.

Austin

Re: Spartan-3AN

must be the (ro)bots have taken control at 2100 Logic Dr. ;)

I was so happily surprised to see the Xilin official announcement in
my mail
(actually 2 copies of it) that I assumed it really is officially
launched as of today and now.

but its still working hours at eastcoast, so maybe things to get
cleared up.

Antti

Re: Spartan-3AN
ok, the info about S3AN is mostly derived from ISE 9.1

the features are pretty much the same as S-3A, eg all same devices,
unfortunatly it also looks like same packages, means no neat small
packages available:(

so basically take S3-A with all the nice features it has + add
nonvolatile memory into the package.
the memory can also be used to store user data like embedded firmware
or other data.

to be very short thats all i can say. its a lot actually counting the
small nice things S3-A has.

Antti

Re: Spartan-3AN

The page redirects to itself - doh.

--

Re: Spartan-3AN
Does anyone have any info on the new non-volatile Spartan parts?

Re: Spartan-3AN
Antti,

Found out what happened:  got sent out too soon (I suppose that is
obvious...).

Now we have to figure out 'how' it got sent out too soon (less obvious).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Austin

Re: Spartan-3AN
You had gotten a "sneak preview" per e-mail.
Please give our guys one more day to get the website running properly.
Apparently there is lots of (well-deserved) excitement...
Good!
Peter Alfke

Re: Spartan-3AN
ROTFL
actually I got 2 "sneak previews" maybe i should have sold he other
one on ebay!

hehe - but YES the excitment is well-deserved !

Antti_smile

Re: Spartan-3AN

It's about gosh darn time these FPGA's have some flash built in.  I have
been waiting for this for awhile now.  This will certainly think about
moving away from Actel devices....

I have heard the "an external PROM is not a big deal" line for too long now.

Its like telling MCU people "you don't need integrated FLASH".  An
external FLASH device is not a big deal.  Sure, its just another
external chip but it is 2007.

Re: Spartan-3AN

I think these are dual-die solutions - so they are not going to be
'instant on',
like the Actel devices. ( relative load times anyone ? )

More interesting will be how wide the flash bus is. A vanilla serial
device is
cheapest to put in, but that's likely to be more costly than an
external serial
flash device. If they have added a security layer, you will be paying
for that.

-jg

Re: Spartan-3AN

You are correct that Spartan-3AN FPGAs are not "instant on", as some
devices claim to be.  Spartan-3AN FPGAs configure from internal In-
System Flash memory.  There is enough Flash for two FPGA configuration
bitstreams (a primary, and a "MultiBoot" image), plus still more room
for nonvolatile application data.  The Flash architecture also
supports Flash memory blocks down to 264 bytes.

The FPGA configuration time depends on the FPGA device size.  Assuming
that power is already stable, the smallest part, the XC3S50AN,
configures in about 45. ms, worst-case.  The largest part, the
XC3S1400AN, configures in about 310 ms, worst-case.

The In-System Flash essentially uses an internal SPI serial bus that
operates up to 66 MHz.  If you only use the In-System Flash for
configuration, then you can completely ignore the details. However,
the Flash is available to the FPGA application after configuration.
The FPGA application has direct access to the Flash using a new design
primitive called SPI_ACCESS.  There is a separate user guide that
delves into the details.

UG333:  Spartan-3AN In-System Flash User Guide
http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/userguides/ug333.pdf

---------------------------------
Steven K. Knapp
Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc.
General Products Division
Spartan-3 Generation FPGAs
http://www.xilinx.com/spartan3a
http://www.xilinx.com/spartan3an
http://www.xilinx.com/spartan3e
---------------------------------
The Spartan(tm)-3 Generation:  The World's Lowest-Cost FPGAs.

Re: Spartan-3AN

The mail Antti got looks good. Maybe I can slip the Spartan 3AN into a
current design if it is not too different from a regular Spartan 3.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Re: Spartan-3AN

consider them "as" S-3A, so look at S-3A and that what you get in
S-3AN as well.
only add the nonvolatile part...

Antti

Re: Spartan-3AN
Hey guys,

I don't understand you...
Lattice XP is far more advanced than this stuff, and around for almost
a year now. OK, xilinx marketing is better but still ... nothing very
exciting if one tries to be a bit objective.

It looks to me that you are all a bit too much xilinx minded. I guess
this S3-AN is a 2 die solution. As far as I know there is no 90nm
flash/SRAM process around (except for Fujitsu then). Thus 2nd
generation XP can be expected quite soon.

Luc