Spartan-3 LC Development Kit from Insight with USB 2.0 Port

In January there was a discussion about the Spartan-3 LC kit from Memec.

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased the kit and has any comments?

In particular I?m interested in the USB 2.0 Interface. We are speculating that it uses a USB2.0 High Speed transceiver and hence requires a USB2.0 SIE core to be implemented in the Spartan. Is this a correct assumption? Does anyone know what percentage of the device does the USB 2.0 High Speed SIE core use?

We are weighting it up with other boards which has an onboard Cypress EZ-USB FX2 2.0 Full Speed USB Controller and hence once configured/enumerated we can just clock the data into this device and it can deal with in leaving the Spartan III for other things.

Reply to
Dave

S3LC uses Silabs serial to usb converter chip CP2101

Antti

Antti Lukats

Thanks for the Info. While I guess the data sheet is technically correct, I do believe it is a little misleading.

The CP2101 is USB 2.0 complaint, but only runs a full speed (12Mbps) and worst still the exposed asynchronous interface to the FPGA has a maximum

921.6 kbps. You would have expected the datasheet to at least mention it uses a serial to USB bridge.

In my opinion, if they wanted to use a simple USB to serial bridge type interface, they would have been better using a FTDI FT245BM which has a

1 byte wide Parallel FIFO bi-directional port to USB Virtual COM driver. It has a 1M Byte/sec transfer rate (8Mbits/sec).
Reply to
Dave