Spartan 2E gets hot after configuration

Hi all, I have a board that has an XC2S300E-6PQ208 on it that gets hot after I configure it. Before the FPGA is configured, it stays cool. I have all the VCCO's tied to 3.3V and all the VCCINT's tied to 1.8 (I probed all of them).

My design uses only 4 x LVTTL I/O's and the remainder of the I/O's are left unused. I have mucked around with the default I/O treatment with Bitgen switches (pullup / pulldown / float) but all seem to produce the same result.

I tried a couple of different design images, all with the same pinout. The designs have a single clock that is _very_ low frequency and I am not using any DLLs.

Any ideas of what I should look for? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Alexander

Do you have tri-state logic description inside your FPGA code. If you have the RTL schematic of the FPGA find 'TBUF'?

Larry

Laurent Gauch

It certainly sounds like contention in I/O pins.

Create a new design, with just one input connected to one output. Unspecified pins default to inputs with light pull up. See if that gets hot.

Create more designs with more and more of the pins you think are outputs, and set them to their expected idle level (high or low). Keep doing designs, adding pins till it gets hot. Let us know how it works out.

Philip Freidin Fliptronics

Reply to
Philip Freidin