SOC and ASIC ?

Hi,

Can any help me out to understand, how does SOC differs from ASIC ?

-Muthu.

Reply to
Muthu

Hello:

A SOC is a System On Chip and is independent of where you implement it, a FPGA a ASIC or wherever you want. An ASIC one of the possible ways to implement the SOC.

Regards

Javier Castillo snipped-for-privacy@opensocdesign.com

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.in (Muthu) wrote in news:4f8e807b.0408280300.129f3088 @posting.google.com:

Reply to
Javier Castillo

hi ! (1) untill which stage does SOC development and FPGA development is common ?(i.e. design entry,simulation,synthesis,implementation).

(2) Are there any tools available for SOC development like those available for FPGA development by xilinx and altera on their respective websites?

Regards ved

Reply to
vedant

Hi, It looks like SOC is a Classification of chip not a technology. Any SOC can be implemented in FPGA / ASIC. If the chip contains functionality of a system, then we shall call it as SOC. Some one correct if my understanding is not correct.

Here is a question further on this, Normally people refers any FPGA / ASIC project which contains many IP cores and some RISC processors as SOC. How ?

Regards, Muthu

Reply to
Muthu