Slightly OT: Need a USB-to-LPT adapter for Xilinx Parallel IV Cable

I am trying to run 2 ChipScope instances connected to two different boards. Unfortunately, Xilinx doesn't support more than one USB cable... I found in the past that you can actually have 2 cables running at the same time if one of them is parallel... My problem now is that my new Dell PC doesn't have a parallel port (neither does it have a serial port )... So I got myself a USB to Parallel adapter, but the ChipScope doesn't want to work through it... It seems that it is only good for a printer. It doesn't even create a proper virtual LPT port... So, I was wondering if someone knows of an adapter that will work?

Thanks, /Mikhail

Reply to
MM

There are PCI parallel ports, and probably not to expensive.

Parallel ports used for other than printers often use the status bits in unusual ways. Writing the device driver to emulate a parallel port used that way through USB would be more work than most want to put into one.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

PCI is out of fashion too :) This PC of mine only has PCI Express and only 2 slots altogether. I guess I will go this route if I can't find another solution, but I hoped there is a proper USB-to-Parallel adapter somewhere...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

MM schrieb:

NO way.

cable III/IV will **NOT** work over USB2LPT adapter

Antti

Reply to
Antti

It would if one made a true emulation of a parallel port, including the virtual device driver that would execute on I/O to the real I/O port. I agree that isn't likely. Though many printers do bidirectional I/O that would require the hardware to do some of that.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Even if the adapter would work, it would crawl like a snail. Bit-banging via USB isn't a good idea.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

I had a similar problem with my MacPro. It only has PCI Express, and I had 2 parallel dongles, one for HyperLynx and one for MXE. The HyperLynx people swapped my parallel dongle for a USB with no problem - they even FedEx'd it to me at their own expense. Xilinx refused to do the same for MXE. I use the LF652KB PCI-E parallel port board from Axxon.

They also make a parallel port/ serial port board for PCI-E.

--
Joe Samson
Pixel Velocity

Try a USB dock like:

-Clark

boards.

in

one

USB

It

that

Reply to
cpope

We have tried a lot of USB-Parallel adapters for our Chameleon POD. No result. Why, the USB-to-parallel are dedicated for parallel PRINTER port !

Do you have PCMCIA, use the Quartech SPP-100. It work nice for your Chameleon Pod !

Regards, Laurent

AMONTEC

Mikhail, How about using VMWare to run another instance of Chipscope? Maybe that would work, you can try their software for free. I've not tried this. HTH, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Do you have a reason to believe it will work differently from all other USB-to-LPT adapters?

Thanks, /Mikhail

Reply to
MM

MM wrote:

If you're not already using both slots, there are PCI-e parallel cards, and they're not too expensive. Check IOgear.

Reply to
Eric Smith

It does *not* work for me using parallel cable IV with Impact.

Cheers,

Guenter

Reply to
Guenter