Simulink(matlab)/FPGA serial port communication

Hi,

I have developed a Decoder in verilog and successfully simulated it on an FPGA. I am using Actel's ProASIC3E proto kit. Simulink has an instrument control toolbox which allows one to read and write to the fpga. I plan to have the encoder, modulation and demodulation blocks in simulink and want to send the demodulated data to the fpga through serial and recieve the output. How can I do this? My design is synchronous takes 2 bits which get decoded into 1bit. Also, what's the output voltage/current on the pc serial port? If the connect on the pins directly into one of fpga's input pins on the board.. would I fry it? (I don't have a serial port on the fpga proto board). Is this even possible?

Thanks for the help, Sarah

Reply to
sarah_s

Sorry simulink also read/write to the serial port.

Reply to
sarah_s