Simple code to check out Spartan3 starter kit?

I've got ISE 8.1 running under Linux (Gentoo, 2.6.15 kernel, amd64 - I plan to use the xc3sprog program to send the bitsream to the board) and now I'd like to hook up the starter kit board and try it out... I'd like a simple design that I could run through ISE and download to the board that would do something on the LEDs so I know things are working, but I don't see anything like that - according to the README for xc3sprog there is some design called echo_out that does something like this, but I can't find it anywhere. Is it (or something similar) available on the web anywhere?

...maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like something like this should be in the Sparten-3 Starter-kit Board User Guide. One of the first things they should have you do is download a test design and run it through ISE and download the bitstream to the FPGA at which point it would display something on the LEDs in order to make sure you've hooked up everything correctly and that you've setup ISE correctly.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Tomson

Oops, I misread the README for x3sprog: the echo_out.bit file comes with it. Still, it would be nice to have the source to echo_out (echo_out.vhd?) as well as other designs which manipulate specific items on the starter kit board (like the 7-segment LEDs, for example).

Phil

Reply to
Phil Tomson

try this:

Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Just plug it into the wall. The PROM comes preloaded with demo code that makes the blinkylights and countynumbers. (At least, the one I got last week does...)

-Matt

Reply to
Nevo

True, but what I was looking for was a VHDL example for displaying things on the various blinylights, etc. Someone else linked to some code at Xilinx that apparently does those things.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Tomson