Signal use from pin

Hi newsgroup,

in my last post "SYNC + FIFO" I talked about the sychronization method of an external data stream. Additional to the bus data I have some control signals coming from the USB transceiver which are also synchronous to the RXCLK which I use as the FIFO write clock (see last post).

In order to respond directly to the control signals I get from the transceiver(for example: USB transceiver drives one control signal high to notify the FPGA to place the next data byte on the DATA[7..0] bus) I have to use the control signal from the pin in my state machine running with the RXCLK.

What recommendations do you make when using such a signal from a pin with regard to placement, timing constraints etc. ?

Thank you for your great help.

Rgds André

Reply to
ALuPin

method

If latency is not an issue, I would register the control signal at the IOB to make sure you don't have setup timing issues. Then add another delay stage (register) for the DATA[7..0] bus so you can use the control signal a cycle later.

If you need to reduce latency into your FIFO, you need to create a timing spec in the ucf file for the control signal like: OFFSET =3D IN 7.2 ns BEFORE "RXCLK"; to make sure your state machine does not exceed the input setup time available.

If you haven't assigned pins yet, I would suggest grouping the control pin near the data pins so your state machine can be placed easily near the control input.

Reply to
Gabor

the

another

control

How can I make this timing constraint "OFFSET X BEFORE Clk" in QuartusII ?

Thank you for your help.

Rgds Andre

Reply to
ALuPin