Shannon Entropy for Black Holes

I read an article in "Scientific American" about how much information can be compressed into a certain volume, and apparently all objects have a Shannon entropy in addition to the thermodynamic entropy. Also, black holes have a Shannon entropy that is based on the surface area of the event horizon. I was totally lost. Can anybody else explain how Shannon's information theory applies to black holes?

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

Yes. Hawking can.

Reply to
Pete Fraser

Sounds like just the place for a First In Never Out (FINO) transmit buffer.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Kevin,

Really quite easy.

Just read

Now after you have read it, go get a stiff drink ....and then fall into a troubled sleep.

As you toss and turn having nightmares about information horizons, and gravity strings, remember what the White Rabbit said: "feed your hair."

How many bits can fit on the surface of a black hole? (2003)

How many Angel's can fit on the head of a pin? (1536)

A question for every age.

Aust> I read an article in "Scientific American" about how much information can be

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Actually the entropy of a black hole works out to be about 10^66 bits/ cm^2.

Clay

Reply to
Clay S. Turner

I've worked with people denser than that.

Or so it seemed, anyway...

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms, Intel Corp. My opinions may not be Intel's opinions.

Eric Jacobsen

I am really curious to know how thermodynamic entropy differs from Shannon's -if both based on "disorderness". Hawking's popular book "brief history of time" has a chapter on "arrow of time" which referred themodynamical entropy and at the same time "orderness" due to expansion of universe- bit abstract!

Since we know entrpy of the universe increases - it is interesting what will happen to Shannon's entropy (if it is related!)- does information of the universe increase-big question!!!

santosh

Reply to
santosh nath

I had to debug somebody else's hardware that implemented a FINO

He had invented the wonderful new memory type... 2K by 8 WOM

Write-Only Memory :-)

Ian

Reply to
Ian Okey

be

Shannon

For the ignorant (me): what it Entropy?

Rich

Reply to
John Smith

Hi Ian.

Sorry but my WOM has 1Mbitx16, it´s implemented on strained silicon, has a life expectancy of almost 10 write cycles and I think it doesn't loose it contents when power is turned off (for obvious reasons I couldn't test this) :)

I'm looking for funds to maintain this important research. Anyone?

Luiz Carlos

Reply to
Luiz Carlos

John,

Falling apart. What everything does (eventually).

What you and I are doing right now (getting older, and falling apart).

Aust> > I read an article in "Scientific American" about how much information can

Reply to
Austin Lesea

gravity

I thought it was "feed your head."

Reply to
James Calivar

that's enough guys..., black hole normaly holds 1, or 2,...but sometimes up to 5 boys and girls (please check guiness book), noting to do with the surface except for its decoration attractiveness

Reply to
daica nguyen

There is some controversy about this. The two ideas are fundamentally distinct and it is unfortunate that they have the same name. They are related, of course, but the relationship is something that has to be spelled out carefully. In my opinion the best work on this is a paper Ed Jaynes wrote for the Am. J. Phys. You'll find it here:

"Gibbs vs. Boltzmann Entropies", article 21. I believe Anton Garrett wrote a lengthy paper spelling it out further based on Jaynes's argument; I think it was in *Foundations of Physics* several years ago.

This isn't trivial stuff; good luck studying it!

-Tom

--
To respond by email, replace "somewhere" with "astro" in the
return address.

Ian, Signetics invented this 30 years ago! try :-

Syms.

Reply to
Symon